J. A. White, farmer, of Brown’s Creek Township, P. O. Jewell City, was born in Carroll County, Ohio, March 30, 1838. Removed to Missouri; thence to Iowa. Came to Jewell County in 1852, and took a homestead twelve miles southwest of Mankato. He enlisted in the United States army in Company A, Thirty-first Iowa Volunteer Infantry, July 6, 1862, and was discharged, by reason of expiration of term of enlistment, July 3, 1865 in Davenport, Iowa. He is now the owner of 160 acres of land, and keeps thirty-five head of cattle and about that number of hogs. He was married in Morgan County, Ohio, March 27, 1858, to Miss Nancy E. Ellis. He is the father of nine children – Basil H., Lydia, Willie, Wilton, Thompson, Lucy, Mary, Charles and Clara.