Edgar C. Arnold was born in the city of which he is now a resident August 18, 1872, and had always made his home at Topeka. He received his primary edneation in the city schools, attended Washhurn College for two years, and was then a student at the Kansas State University for a like period. With this preparation he embarked in the drug business with his father, under the style of A. J. Arnold & Son, and at the time of his father’s death succeeded to the business. In 1899 it was incorporated as the Arnold Drug Company, and as such had since remained. The business was formerly confined to the retail trade, but under Mr. Arnold’s management had extended its scope so as to take care of wholesale business as well, and in both departments had shown a rapid and steady development. Other enterprises and institutions have had the benefit of Mr. Arnold’s business judgment, foresight and acumen, and at this time he is identified with the State Savings Bank and the Citizens Bank as a director; the Capitol Building and Loan Association as vice president and director; the Elmhurst Investment Company as a director; and the Shawnee Investment Company as vice president and a director. He is a Democrat, but his heavy business interests have allowed him to take no more than a good eitizen’s participation in public and political affairs. Mr. Arnold is fraternally identified with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and socially is a popular member of the Country Club and the Topeka Commercial Club. He always had given his support to measures which have promised to aid Topeka’s civic or business development.
On March 14, 1911, Mr. Arnold was united in marriage with Miss Lina Pliley, of Shawnee County, Kansas.