Arthur C. Engler. Undoubtedly the development of Shawnee County from a prairie wilderness to a region of fruitful farms and grazing lands was largely brought about by the sturdy industrious class that made up the body of the pioneer settlers and it is gratifying to the lover of state and county to see that the stock is not dying out. Old names that for years have represented the best of citizenship still appear as owners of property and as worthy successors of those who may still be recalled in the substantial improvements they left behind them. In this connection no name is held in higher esteen than that of Engler.
Arthur C. Engler, the youngest sun of the late Charles Engler, one of the early pioneers in Topeka Township, was born on the old homestead here, May 31, 1884. In early youth he attended the Sunnyside District School but anriously looked forward to the time when he would be permitted to assist his father and become personally interested in the different agricultural activities. Inheriting his father’s love of stock, he had been equally successful along this line. His present highly improved farm of 285 acres is a part of the old homestead and here he had always lived. Utilizing the best machinery and following the most approved methods, Mr. Engler had made his farm one of the best in Shawnee County and enjoys the reputation of being one of the best informed, practical and most thrifty agriculturists.
On September 12, 1905, Mr. Engler was married to Miss Minnie C. Brown, who is a daughter of Robert H. Brown, one of the prominent men of Shawnee County. They have two children: Doris Thelma and Paul Charles Henning Engler. Mr. Engler attends closely to his large agricultural interests and had never been particularly active in politics although ever ready to lend his influence in the direction of temperance and morality, and impresses a stranger as being one of the county’s capable men and useful citizens.