Samuel Baird, proprietor of Baird’s livery stable, established in 1869, was born in 1847; removed with parents to Pa.; thence to Cumberland, Md., and in 1861 to Galesburg, Ill., when he engaged with his father and brother in the coal business. In 1863 he enlisted in the 139th Ill. Infantry and afterwards enlisted in the 8th Ill. Cav.; was discharged in 1865, and returned to Galesburg, and was employed in the flouring mills until 1869, when he moved to Dunlap and engaged in his present business. He was elected justice of the peace in 1877, which office he still holds; was mayor of Dunlap in 1877, and the first marshal of the city; is at present district deputy grand marshal of the Odd Fellows lodge. He was married in 1865, at Henderson, Ill., to Miss Sears, and has one son and two daughters.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.