WILLIAM SAVAGE, The manager of a well-improved farm of 120 acres, lying in Monroe Township, William Savage is an able and worthy representative of the agricultural interests of Madison County, where he has spent his entire career, A member of the younger generation of farmers, he has the hard-headed practicality inherited from a long line of agricultural ancestors, with which he combines the enthusiasm of youth and the use of modern scientific methods and machinery, Mr. Savage was born on the old family homestead in Pipe Creek Township, Madison County, Indiana, August 13, 1890, and is a son of Columbus and Maggie (Peck) Savage.
The Savage family is known as one of the old and honored ones of Madison County, having been founded here by the great-grandparents of William Savage, who came to Indiana from Vermont, the Green Mountain State, and here took up land from the government, Scipia Savage, the grandfather of William Savage, was born in the Green Mountain State, and was a child when brought to the newly opened section of Indiana, Here he married Nancy Beason, and settled down to agricultural pursuits, in which he was engaged during the remainder of his life. Columbus Savage was born in Pipe Creek Township, Madison County, and followed in the foot-steps of his father and grandfather, adopting the tilling of the soil as a vocation, He has continued to follow this occupation throughout his career, and is now a well-known and substantial farmer of Boone Township, where he owns a large tract of land, Columbus Savage was twice married, first to Miss Maggie Peck, and they were the parents of two children, The daughter, Nora- the elder, is deceased, and William L. is the subject of this review, The second marriage was with Miss Josina Benedict, and there were four children born of this union Herman, Mary, Bernice, Vernice, but the youngest is deceased.
The early education of William Savage was secured in the public schools of Elwood, following which he became a pupil in the Duck Creek Township schools, but subsequently returned to Elwood, where he completed his training, During this time he had been engaged in assisting his father in the work of the home place, and received a thorough training in all matters of an agricultural nature, At the time of his marriage, he embarked upon a career of his own, locating on a property on Alexandria Rural Free Delivery Route No, 1, in Monroe Township, and here he has continued to carry on general farming and stock raising operations with uniform success, He has kept fully abreast of the various changes and advancements made in his vocation, and has never been backward in adopting measures which have shown themselves to be of a beneficial nature, His intelligent management of his affairs has gained him prosperity, and a position of leadership among the younger farmers of his community.
On February 15, 1913, Mr. Savage was united in marriage with Miss Blanche Merrill, daughter of High and Mary Merrill, High Merrill was a machinist of Dayton, Ohio, who subsequently moved to Troy, Ohio,’ and thence to Hartford City, Indiana, where the last years of his life were passed, He was the father of three children, Blanche, Bessie and one who is now deceased.
Mr. Savage is a Republican in his political belief, but his connection with matters of a public nature has been somewhat limited, as he has been too busy with his agricultural operations to actively enter the political arena, However, good men and measures receive his hearty support, and he shows an active and intelligent interest in all that affects the welfare of his community, Fraternally, he is connected with the local lodge of the Improved Order of Red Men, in which he has many friends, With his wife, he attends the Christian church.