Biography of George W. Showers
GEORGE W. SHOWERS. Now filling the office of justice of the peace in Anderson, Mr. Showers has been identified by residence and business with Anderson and with Madison County for more than twenty years. In business affairs he is best known as a building contractor, and has done much substantial work as evidence of his ability in this line.
George W. Showers was born in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, December 25, 1847, a son of John H. and Maria (Hicks) Showers, In 1856, when George was nine years old, the family moved from Pennsylvania to Henry County, Indiana, locating at a little place known as Mechanicsburg, Henry County, Indiana, The father was by trade a brick moulder and shoe maker and, besides his work for his family and immediate community, deserves an honored memory as a soldier of the Union, In 1862 he enlisted in Company E of the Eighth Indiana Infantry, and served under General Grant in the siege of Vicksburg, He died on August 16, 1863, He was taken sick at Vicksburg and died at Jefferson Barracks Hospital, in St, Louis.
George W. Showers was reared and educated in Henry County, attending the grammar and high schools. During boyhood days he assisted his father. At the age of nineteen he became a worker for wages on a farm, but in the following year began learning the carpenter’s trade, He followed his vocation with success in other parts of the state, and in 1890 located in Anderson, From an individual carpenter he developed a business as a contractor, and since that time many’ of the stores, shops, churches and school houses in Anderson and vicinity have been erected under his management and contracting. He has a reputation for reliable performance of all his contracts, and is a very skillful and thoroughly versed mechanic.
On June 8, 1881, Mr. Showers married Miss Lucinda A. Harter, a daughter of David Harter, Their marriage has been blessed with eight children, three surviving, Ralph W., John D. and Fred, all residents of Anderson. Mr. Showers was elected justice of the peace for the full term of four years in 1910, He dispenses justice with an impartial and capable hand, and has brought much dignity to his present office. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Improved Order of Red Men, the United Ancient Order of Druids, and is a demitted Mason. He is a Democrat and filled the office of justice of the peace in Henry County from 1886 to 1890, His religious affiliations are with the Christian church, His attractive and comfortable home is at 75 Bismarck street, in North Anderson.