BUSHROD W. SCOTT. For many years the name Scott was familiarly associated with the mercantile enterprise of the city of Anderson. Mr. Scott first became a resident of Madison County, about the beginning of the Civil war, 1860, arriving here a comparatively, poor young man, and from one employment to another gradually advanced until he became an independent business man, and was in the list of successful merchants until he finally retired from business and is now spending his later years in the enjoyment of a well won prosperity, He belongs to a prominent old family of colonial ancestors, and for several generations identified with the old colony and commonwealth of Virginia.
Bushrod W. Scott was born in Monongahela County, in what was then Virginia, but is now West Virginia, The date of his birth was June 9, 1839, The family record during its residence in America goes back to his great-grandfather, Major David Scott, who was born in the land of hills and heather, immigrated to America during the colonial era, and settled in the colony of Virginia, He made the acquaintance of, and became a fast friend of George Washington, and when the Revolutionary war came on rose to the rank of major in the colonial troops, Later he secured a large tract of land in what was afterwards Monongahela County, and operated his estate with slave labor, He continued a resident there until his death. Next in line of descent was Col. James Scott, the grandfather, who was born’ in western Virginia, inherited a large landed estate and many slaves; and became a very prominent citizen of Monongahela County, He served with the rank of colonel during the War of 1812, and was honored with the office of sheriff of Monongahela County, Before his death he freed all his slaves, His life was prolonged to the great age of ninety-four years, On a part of his estate he set aside some land for a cemetery, and his remains now rest there in the vicinity of the old Scott homestead, There were ten children in his family, among whom was Sanford B. Scott, father of Bushrod, Sanford B. Scott was born in Monongahela County, was reared on a farm, and inherited a portion of the land which Major Scott had secured many years before.
He continued to live there until several years after western Virginia had become the state of West Virginia, in 1868 immigrated west to Indiana, buying land in Henry County, which was his home until 1870 when he sold out and bought a place in Lafayette Township of Madison County. He was engaged in general farming and stock raising there until his death at the age of sixty-seven years. Francis B. Scott married Hannah Tibbs, a native of Virginia, and a daughter of John and Mary (McCay) Tibbs, who was born and spent all their lives in the old Virginia commonwealth, Mrs. Sanford B. Scott died at the age of 89, and reared nine children, named: James, Bushrod W., Louise, Mary, John, William, Virginia, Fannie, and Isabelle.
In the old Monongahela River country, Bushrod W. Scott spent his boyhood days, and lived there until he was about twenty-one years of age. In 1860 he left the old home and came west to Indiana, His first work and experience in this state were as a clerk in a general store at Alexandria, in Madison County, In the spring of 1861 he returned to Virginia; but found the country in which he had spent his boyhood rent with the distractions of Civil war, and he accordingly returned to Madison County, and was employed as a clerk for the firm of Crim & Hazlet at Anderson, That firm then had the largest store in the County seat, Four years later, the business was sold to Andrew Jackson, and Mr. Scott continued with the new proprietor for one year. His experience and savings then enabled him to start in business on his own account, and he became a partner of E. C. Bliven, under the firm name of Scott & Bliven, These partners sold dry goods, and had a growing business, At the end of two years Mr. Siddall bought the interest of Bliven, and the firm for three years was Scott & Siddall, Mr. Scott then sold out to his partner, and soon formed a partnership with his father-in-law, William W. Williams, making the firm of Scott & Williams, They conducted a general store, and it was one of the popular trading centers of the time, After several years Mr. Scott became sole proprietor, and continued in active business at Anderson for about ten years, at which time he retired, In the meantime he had bought a farm, and still owns that place, operating it through renters, Soon after his marriage he had bought the property at the northwest corner of Meridian and Twelfth Streets, and that is still in his possession, He 0ccupied it as a place of residence until 1904, when he bought his present home at the northwest corner of Central Avenue, and Fourteenth Street. On June 25, 1868, Mr. Scott married Maandat Williams. She was born at Ogden in Henry County, Indiana, Her father William W. Williams, was born near Mount Victory in Hardin County, Ohio, a son of John Williams, who was a farmer near Mount Victory, The father of Mrs. Scott came to Indiana, when a young man, and for several years operated a tannery at Knights- town in Henry County, Later he was a merchant at Ogden in the same County, afterwards moved to Richmond, Indiana, and a year later in August, 1865, established himself at Anderson, which was then a quiet rural village of about five thousand people, He is still remembered as one of the old merchants of Anderson, and was in business with his son Henry C. for some years, and afterwards with Mr. Scott, Mr. Williams lived in Anderson until his death at the age of seventy-five. He married Martha Raines, who was born in Ohio, a daughter of Joab Raines, who came from Ohio to Indiana, lived in Wayne County, and then in Henry County, buying a farm near Knightstown, where he spent the rest of his active life, His death occurred at the home of his daughter in Ogden. The mother of Mrs. Scott died at the age of sixty-two years, and reared five children, named Henry, Lucien, Maanda, Adeline, and Edgar. The daughter named Caroline died in childhood.
To Mr. and Mrs. Scott have been born four children: Charles, Lena, Marshall, and Robert, Lena married Leonard Wild, and has one son named Robert. Marshall married Nora Ellison, and their one son is named George, These are the only two grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. Scott. The family worship in the Methodist church.