A. W. COOK. One of the oldest and most esteemed residents of Fall Creek Township, Mr. Asahel Walter Cook has spent the most of a long life of eighty years in this County, has given a long period of service as a teacher and educator, and for a number of years was a trustee of his home Township first elected in 1890 for five years, then re-elected in 1899 for another four years. The opportunities for such service in behalf of the public come only to the man whose integrity and efficiency are proved beyond all doubt to the citizenship, and the fact of public service alone extended over a number of years is a high tribute to the character of any citizen.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Mr. A. W. Cook, who is a birthright member of the Society of Friends, was born in York County, Pennsylvania, June 17, 1833, so that he came from the center of the old Quaker colony into the Quaker settlement of eastern Indiana. His parents were George W. and Elizabeth (Walker) Cook. Both parents were natives of York County, Pennsylvania, whence they came to Indiana in 1847 and located as early settlers in Madison County, their location being at Huntsville. The father was a farmer in that vicinity and died there in 1861. His wife survived for thirty years, passing away in 1891. They were the parents of eight children, and six of the family are still living.
Mr. A. W. Cook was reared in Pennsylvania, where he received his education in the public schools, and on October 26, 1854, was married to Hannah C. Garrettson. She was born in the same County as her husband, was reared on a farm, educated in the public schools, and after their marriage they located on a farm. Mr. Cook began teaching school when he was nineteen years of age, and his experiences as an educator continued for many years. This occupation he alternated with that of fanning, and it was his practice to spend the winters in teaching while he conducted the operation of his farm during the summer. In this way he taught thirty-two terms of school, and twenty-two of these were taught in Indiana in Madison County. For twelve terms he was principal of the Huntsville school in Fall Creek Township. Among the older educators of Madison County, probably not one is better remembered and stands in higher esteem among the great number of pupils who still survive and remember him than Mr. Cook.
In 1890 Mr. Cook was elected a trustee of Fall Creek Township. After serving some five years he vacated the office, but was soon afterward recalled by the citizenship, and altogether gave nine years of service in the office of trustee. He was also for six years supervisor of his Township. Mr. Cook in 1890 sold his farm east of Pendleton and moved to the town of Pendleton, where he has since made his home. At the present time his chief occupation is in writing fire insurance. In politics he has been a Republican practically shine the organization of that great party.
The three living children of Mr. Cook and wife are as follows Teresa C., who is the wife of Joseph H. Michael Melissa G., wife of George Rogers; Mary E., wife of Charles Hedrick. The family are all members of the Friends church. Mr. Cook is affiliated with Madison Lodge No. 44 A. F. & A. M. and has been an active member of this fraternity for a great many years. He is in every way a progressive business man, has upheld all his duties citizenship, and has been honored in his many relations in the useful services t0 his community.