Woodyard, James A. – Obituary
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
choose a state:
J. A. Woodyard Is Laid To Rest
A Minister and Servant of God Has Been Called to His Reward
Elder J. A. Woodyard died at the home of his son-in-law in North Kittitas precinct twelve miles north of this city, Friday morning at 12:30, June 7, 1912. The remains were brought to this city and placed in charge of Ross & Inman who prepared for the same burial. The funeral took place from the Christian church, Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock. The remains were followed to their last resting place by a considerable number of his old time friends and neighbors. Rev. A. L. Crim delivered the funeral discourse in which he paid a glowing tribute to his memory and consoled the bereaved in commending them to follow in his footsteps.
J. A. Woodyard was born in Switzerland County, Indiana, June 10, 1829, but was reared to manhood in Grant County, Kentucky.
August 23, 1849 he was married to Miss Mary J. Maddox, Owen county, Kentucky.
In 1854 their family moved to Saugamon County, Illinois, where they lived two years, moving to Lewis County, Missouri in 1856.
In 1879 he embarked in the mercantile business and after a few years was burned out, leaving him almost penniless.
In 1874 he was ordained to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, which he continued to do up to within a few weeks of the end. He had an appointment to preach at the Reecer creek school house three weeks previous to his death, but was unable to fill his engagement on account of a stroke of paralysis two days previous, which was the direct cause of his death.
In 1899 his beloved wife departed this life leaving him to travel the remainder of his days all alone, after having passed through 50 years of wedded life.
He left to mourn his death three sons, John of this city, P. A. of Portland and James of Seattle and two daughters, Mrs. Wm. Sherman of this valley.
He died as he lived with an abiding faith in his Lord and Master, fully believing that there was for him a crown of glory in heaven.
Ellensburg Dawn, June 13, 1912
Contributed by: Mari Nielsen