Allin Township was formerly called Mosquito Grove. It lies on the western side of McLean County, and is the second township from the south side of the county. It includes a full Congressional town, and no more. It is designated Town 23 north, Range 1 west of the Third Principal Meridian. It is bounded on three sides by other townships of the county, viz., on the north by Danvers, on the east by Dale and on the south by Mount Hope; Tazewell County lies on the west. The Third Principal Meridian forms the eastern boundary, being the line which separates it from Dale Township.
Allin was first named from a small grove in the northwestern corner of the township, on the branch of Sugar Creek which takes its rise in Danvers and flows through Stout’s Grove. The stream is a small one, and so is Mosquito Grove. When the name was changed it was called Allin, in honor of Mr. Allin, of Bloomington, whose history is so closely identified with that of the city.
There are three considerable groves in the township. The one of most importance, perhaps, or, at least, the first settled, is Brooks’ Grove, on the south. It is situated on Brooks’ Branch of Sugar Creek. Farther up on the same stream, and in the eastern part of Allin, is Brown’s Grove. Then there is Mosquito Grove, already mentioned.
There are three streams, all of which flow in a southwesterly direction. They are all branches of Sugar Creek. The one farthest to the northwest cuts off only a small portion of the northwest corner. The next begins near the northeast corner, and meanders a little west of southwest. Brooks’ Branch begins about Brown’s Grove, and parses through the east and south part of the township.
With the exception of the groves already pointed out, Allin is prairie. The soil is deep, black and fertile. It produces abundant crops of corn, oats, potatoes and grass. Some wheat is still raised, but not enough to make an important item in the enumeration of products. There was a time in the history of this country when wheat was a paying crop, when the average farmer would not think of sowing less than twenty to thirty acres. Mr. Warlow says that he has cut as many as 300 acres of wheat and oats himself in one season. But those days are past. Farmers now raise little more than what is necessary for their own use. Hogs and cattle are raised extensively. The large elevators at Stanford indicate a heavy grain-growing community.
The prairies are tolerably level, but not so much so as to seriously affect the farming interests.
The Commissioners who first laid off the county into townships for political purposes, reported Town 23 north, Range 1 west as constituting such a division, and named it Mosquito Grove Township. The name was afterward changed to Allin, in honor of Mr. Allin, whose efforts in behalf of Bloomington are very well known to all the early inhabitants.
The first election held, April 6, 1858, for the election of township officers, resulted as follows : Presley T. Brooks, Supervisor ; John M. Jones, Town Clerk ; Green B. Larison, Assessor ; John Armstrong, Collector ; John WV. Godfrey, Overseer of the Poor ; Thomas Veal, Leonard McReynolds, Jarvis Mack, Commissioners of Highways ; Richard A. Warlow, John Cavett, Justices of the Peace; Henry M. Kerbaugh, Katie E. Cooper, Constables.
This list, besides introducing many new names, takes us back to the early settlement of the township. It includes at least two of the oldest settlers now in it-Presley T. Brooks and Richard A. Warlow.
The late election, for 1879-S0, resulted in the choice of the following township officers : John L. Kaufman, Supervisor ; Abel Brooks, Town Clerk ; Leonard McReynolds, Peter D. Springer, Justices of the Peace ; Awes Harrison, John Armstrong, Andrew Springer, Road Commissioners; Sigh Hennershotz, Constable; Scott Wier, Assessor; Michael Garst, Collector.