Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Thomas A. Little. One of the most interesting homes of Rantoul is that of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas A. Little in the extreme northeast quarter of the town. They live there enjoying a happy combination of both the rural and the urban facilities. They have sufficient ground to afford Mr. Little an opportunity to indulge his favorite pastimes of agriculture, not without considerable profit, and they also have sufficient means to live comfortably without fear of the future and enjoy their many friends.
Mr. Little was born in Licking County, Ohio, in 1851, a son of John and Charlotte (Coon) Little. His parents were natives of Ohio, and his mother was of an old and prominent family of that state. In 1916 Mr. and Mrs. Little attended the annual reunion in Ohio of the Coon family and spent two weeks in and around Newark renewing old acquaintances.
Thomas A. Little was educated in the district schools of Vermilion and Champaign counties, Illinois, and became a practical farmer. He was also engaged in a mercantile business in Rantoul, from the spring of 1872 to 1905. At the age of thirty-five he married Lizzie Cole. Three children were born to their union, two of whom died in infancy. Lewis C., the only one to grow up, proved a boy of fine capacity and of studious ability. He was graduated with honors from the Rantoul High School in 1905, having done his last two years of work in one, in addition to clerking in a store both morning and evening. From there he went into a law office to study law, and was well on the way to a professional career when he died. He was only nine years of age when his mother passed away.
Thomas A. Little subsequently married Mary J. Lindsey, who was born in Vermilion County, Illinois, a daughter of David H. and Sophronia Lindsey. Mrs. Little was only a child when her mother died. She was educated in the Collison district school and also at Danville. After Mr. and Mrs. Little married they took up their home in Rantoul, where he engaged in a mercantile business until 1905. Since then he has been handling insurance and also has a collection agency.
A few years ago Mr. Little determined to establish a home for himself combining the country with the town, and with that end in view bought five and a half acres in the northeast part of Rantoul. He has a large white house as his home, and has planted shade and spruce trees, which in time will make the place a perfect bower. One feature of his farm is a strawberry patch with over 4,000 plants. Mr. Little raises poultry successfully, and has used the Philo system. His land occupies high ground and commands a fine view in all directions.
Mr. and Mrs. Little attend worship in the Methodist Episcopal Church, though Mrs. Little is a member of the Christian denomination. Politically he is a stanch and progressive Republican, and was a loyal supporter of Roosevelt. He is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and served as recorder of the Court of Honor for ten years. Mrs. Little is a member of the Rebekahs.