A. C. Sluss, the proprietor of the Tuscola Journal, a weekly paper published at Tuscola, and the present postmaster of Tuscola, has been for many years prominently identified with the business, social and political interests of his city and County, having served the city of Tuscola twice as alderman, three terms as city clerk and one term as mayor. He was born in Edgar County, Illinois, April 7, 1850, and is a son of Thomas S. and Martha Hineman ) Sluss. His father, who was born in Kentucky, removed. to Tuscola in 1861, and there carried on his trade, that of a harness maker, up to the time of his death, in 1893, at the age of eighty years.
His grandfather, David Sluss,, and his grandfather, John Hineman, were both natives of Kentucky, and were among the first settlers in Monroe County, Indiana.
A. C. Sluss learned the trade with his father, and received his education in the schools of Tuscola and the Chicago Business College. He was engaged in the manufacture of harness, etc., when, in 1889, he was appointed post-master of Tuscola by President Harrison, and again received the appointment by President McKinley, which shows his popularity and efficiency as a public official. Mr. Sluss became the sole owner of the Tuscola Journal, the official Republican organ of Douglas County, in December, 1898.
The journal was founded by Siler & Lindsay in 1864, and has at the present time a paid circulation of about two thousand in the County. it is stanch Republican in its political views, and is one of the most progressive and up-to-date country news-papers in central Illinois.
In 1875 Mr. Sluss was united in marriage to Miss Minerva Higgins, of Highland County, Ohio. They have three children, Alfred H., Frank L. and Hattie E.