Marion Watson, of Arthur, after reading law under the instruction of William H. Whit taker, of Sullivan, was admitted to practice law before the supreme court of the state in 1896. He was born on a farm near Bloom-field, Greene County, Indiana, October 29, 1864. His education was received in the common schools, and he afterward attended a short term at the normal at Danville, Indiana. He remained on the farm in his native County until 1883, when he came to Illinois, locating in Douglas County, and spent two seasons as a common work hand on the farm, working. one winter during this time for his board and attending school. Subsequently he taught school for six years in the County. In 1892 Mr. Watson succeeded W. H. H. Reeder in the insurance and real estate business, since which time he has been very successfully engaged in this business in connection with his law practice. He has a most complete law library, and one as varied as those generally found in cities.
On September 5, 1892, he was united in marriage with Miss Ivy J., daughter of James and Belle Gamron, of Edgar County, Illinois. They have four children: Esther Marie, Ralph Waldo, Gladys and Grace.
Marion Watson is the son of Dale and Quintilla (Payne) Watson, who were probably born in Virginia. Dale came to Indiana with his father, John Watson, and they were among the early settlers of Greene County. His maternal grandfather, William Payne, was a native of North Carolina.
Mr. Watson has served one term as president of the village board of Arthur; served a part of a term as justice of the peace, and one term as assessor of Bourbon Township, and is a member and trustee of the Baptist Church. Mr. Watson has fought his own way to the front over many obstacles, and occupies at present an enviable and honorable position among his professional brethren of the County, having the confidence of the entire community in which he lives. In political opinion he is a stanch believer in the tenets and principles of the regular Democracy as laid down in the Chicago platform of 1896.