Biography of L. H. Blue
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
choose a state:
L. H. Blue. Hardly a more attractive rural home can be found in the entire scope of Champaign County than that of Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Blue, situated on Rural Route No. 21 out of Rantoul and section 8, some seven miles from that city.
This home has been the product of Mr. and Mrs. Blue’s united endeavors and industry since they married, and it is with a pardonable degree of pride that they enjoy its comforts and satisfactions. Mr. Blue was born near Rantoul and is a son of John H. and Lena (Satthoff) Blue, energetic and worthy German people who came to this country in early life. Mr. Blue was educated in the North View and Thresher district schools.
His happy marriage occurred in 1904, when Miss Bertha J. Cook became his wife. She was born in Champaign County, a daughter of Lyona B. and Mary E. (Parker) Cook. She was educated in the Amity school.
Mr. and Mrs. Blue after their marriage became renters on the old Hutchinson estate four and a half miles west of Thomasboro. A year later they removed to Ford County, and there farmed eighty acres of rented land for six years. Throughout they were possessed of the ambition to acquire a home of their own, and called to their aid the utmost thrift of their German stock and their native habits of economy. With money Mrs. Blue inherited from her father’s estate and money saved by their several years as renters they bought eighty acres seven and a half miles northwest of Rantoul.
Their place is on the corner of cross roads and their home is beautifully situated on an eminence of land from which the ground slopes away in all directions. Their home in summer time is almost kept from view by a magnificent grove of maple, hackberry, butternut, walnut and evergreen trees. They have carefully studied and worked out a fine landscape gardening which would do credit to an artist in that field.
In this home Mr. and Mrs. Blue have enjoyed the happy companionship of their two children. Eldon Louis was born in 1907 and Glen Emerson was born in 1912. The family are active members of the German Lutheran Evangelical Church. Politically Mr. Blue is a Republican, and has manifested his public spirit whenever the occasion required his services. He is a member of the local school board and serving as clerk, and is also on his two year term as a road commissioner. Mr. Blue has been treasurer of the North Prospect Telephone Company six years, and is a director of the Farmers Mutual Insurance Company of Dix Township in Ford County. This company is one of the large ones in central Illinois, and has $2,000,000 of insurance in force.