John I. Groves, M. D., was born in Cass County, Illinois, May 2, 1854, a son of Isaac and Mary E. (Coal) Groves. His father was born in England and his mother in the State of Maryland. Isaac Groves was for many years an active minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1878 he removed to Champaign, and died there December 12, 1906. By his first marriage he had two children, Elizabeth J., wife of Hugh Mitchell, of Fisher, Illinois; and Harriet A., wife of Thomas M. Foster, of Dickens, Iowa. Rev. Mr. Groves’ second wife died March 22, 1905. She was the mother of two sons: Dr. John Groves; and Charles W.
Doctor Groves remained at home with his father until he was twenty years of age. In the meantime he had acquired a substantial education, and he then took up teaching and followed that profession for four years in country districts. For three years he was a teacher in Vermilion County, Illinois. He then entered the Hahnemann Medical College in Chicago, from which he was graduated M. D. in 1880, and spent seven years. in the practice of medicine in Indiana and Illinois. His first practice was done in Indiana, and after two years he removed to Gibson City, where he practiced for four years before coming to Champaign, and since locating here he has devoted his time to real estate interests. Doctor Groves has membership in the Homeopathic Medical Society, and was a charter member of Hesperon Lodge No. 123 of the Knights of Pythias of which he is a Past Chancellor Commander. He also belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America, in which he has served as Venerable Consul, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Doctor Groves was married in ‘ September, 1883, to Grace F. Groves, who died October 4, 1885. On February 17, 1887, he married Miss E. Lynne Burton. They have one child, Evangeline Eunice, who graduated from the University of Illinois with the class of 1912.