Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
J. E. Fuller. The Fuller home is a mile and three-quarters southeast of Ludlow, in section 8 of Harwood Township. It is a home of comforts and superior improvements, and is the domicile of people whose character and activities tend to raise the general standard of community life in Champaign County.
Mr. Fuller was born in Michigan, son of Dexter and Elizabeth Ann (Curtis) Fuller. His parents were born in Massachusetts, moved from there to Ohio and finally to Michigan. J. K. Fuller was educated in Michigan schools, completing his training in a seminary at Spring Arbor in that state, where he graduated in 1884. Following that for a number of years he was a successful teacher both in Michigan and also in Champaign County.
Mr. Fuller married Miss Jennie Pearson. She was born in Mason County, Illinois, a daughter of Robert and Mary (Fletcher) Pearson, both of whom are natives of England, but came to this country when still single. Mrs. Fuller was the second in a family of five children. She attended the district schools, the college at Paxton, Illinois, and was married at the age of twenty-four.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Fuller located at their present home place, and that has been their continuous residence ever since. Here they have 160 acres and the passing years have witnessed many improvements in their surroundings and have also endeared the home to them by many happy associations.
To their marriage were born five children. One died in infancy and the others are named Nanny, Robitine, Horace and Fred. To fit these children for the responsible duties of life Mr. and Mrs. Fuller sent them to the local district school, where all of them finished the eighth grade. The daughter Nanny became a student in’ the Northwestern University at Evanston, Illinois, where she took the liberal arts course, specializing in English. The girls have also had piano instruction, and music is one of the features of the Fuller home. The daughter Robitine attended the high school at Paxton, where she graduated in 1915. She is now the capable helper to her mother in the home. Nanny taught her first school in Harwood Center during 1911-12, had the Martin school for two years, and then one year in the old home school district, the Gallagher school. Miss Nanny has been superintendent of the Methodist Episcopal Sunday school at Ludlow. The son Fred is active in the work of the home farm. The other son, Horace, now lives in North Dakota, near Arthur. He married Sarah Van Schoyck of Ludlow. Mr. and Mrs. Fuller have always endeavored to carry out the principles of her father who taught his children strict loyalty to the flag and country which gave them protection. In church affairs the Fuller family are active in the Methodist Episcopal Church at Ludlow and are liberal supporters of that organization. Mrs. Fuller and her daughter Robitine are both teachers in the Sunday school. In politics Mr. Fuller is a Democrat, and all of them have rendered support to the prohibition movement, Mrs. Fuller being active in the local W. C. T. U. Fraternally they are members of the Court of Honor, and Mr. Fuller and his sons belong to the Modern Woodmen of America.
Mrs. Fuller is not only a most capable home maker but has proved her executive ability as a farm manager. For a number of summers Mr. Fuller has lived in North Dakota, looking after his farm there, and during his absence Mrs. Fuller has assumed the active management of the home farm, being assisted by her son and daughters. The Fuller farm at Ludlow is appropriately called Maple Hurst. Recently the farm residence was remodeled into a modern home, and Mrs. Fuller superintended every detail of. this work. They now have one of the most complete country homes of Harwood Township.