Henry H. Mynard, retired farmer, who has been a resident of Stephenson county since 1863, was born in Greene county, New York, November 3rd, 1822. After marriage his parents, Elisha B. and Persis (VanHorn) Mynard, both of Columbia county, New York, moved to Greene county where they resided until 1841 when they removed to Cook county, Illinois, and there engaged in farming until the death of the former in 1845. He served in the war of 1812. Mrs. Mynard died in Lee county, Illinois, in 1865. They had six children, two of whom are now living- Henry H., our subject, and Francis V. H., a retired farmer, now living in Blue Island, Cook county, Illinois. William H., George W., Julia Maria and Mary Eliza are deceased.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Henry H. Mynard received his education in the common schools, after which he began farming in Cook county, Illinois. March 13th, four children, three are living. Edward F. is a fireman on the St. Paul road. George is a clerk in Walton’s store and Florence is a student at the State Normal school at Normal, Illinois, fitting herself for the teacher’s vocation.
In 1845, he married Miss Caroline C. Cool, who was the daughter of Benjamin R. and Lois Cool. Her father was a farmer in Cook county where he and his wife both died.
Mrs. Mynard died January 25th, 1885, leaving one adopted daughter, Roselle G.
In 1853 Mr. Mynard came to Stephenson county and bought a farm in Ridott township where he engaged in farming until 1875 when he removed to Freeport, purchasing the property at 184 Union street which he still occupies, having himself made all the improvements on the place. Mr. Mynard has held the offices of school trustee, supervisor and other minor offices, and was at one time a member of the Grange society. He has always voted the republican ticket. Mr. Mynard is a prominent citizen of Freeport and a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of that city.