Biography of George T. Wilson
Not alone to the men of daring initiative in the fields of manufacture and merchandising does Rock Island County owe its greatness in the world of commerce, but also to the mechanics whose unsurpassed skill and industry have contributed, in larger measure than we always realize, to our worldwide reputation for all that is best in our manifold lines of product. In the front ranks of these skilled artisans is Mr. George T. Wilson, the well known carriage iron worker, foreman of the blacksmithing department of the Velie Carriage Company. Mr. Wilson was born under Her Britannic Majesty’s Flag, in the Province of Quebec, in October, 1839. Fifty-three years later, namely, 1892, he, with his wife, Mary E. and their two sons, Edgar H., a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this book, and Ross P., removed to Moline.
As foreman of the iron department of the D. M. Sechler Carriage Company, he continued for the period of seven years, when, his health declining, he resigned that charge and engaged in partnership with his elder son, Edgar H., in the grocery business, which the latter was conducting at the time, on Third Avenue, Moline. His health failed to improve and he was obliged to retire from this business also.
“Time heals all wounds ” and often restores broken health, as happily was the case with Mr. Wilson, so that in October, 1902, he was able to once more take up his regular business, this time as foreman of the blacksmithing department of the Velie Carriage Company, where he is now engaged.
Mr. Wilson has been an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church from the days of his young manhood. He is a member of Doric Lodge, No. 319, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, and is regarded by judges as one of the best carriage iron workers in the state, and that means one of the best in the world.