George C. Jeffers, member of the firm of Bragg & Jeffers, engaged in general merchandising and banking at Camargo, was horn in Adams County, Illinois, in 1858, and is a son of Samuel P. and Rachel (Orr) Jeffers. Samuel P. Jeffers was horn in Clermont County, Ohio, June 9, 1834, and is a son of Elijah and Hannah (Pine) Jeffers, natives of Clermont County, Ohio, and New Jersey respectively. Hannah Pine was a daughter of William Pine, who, an orphan, emigrated from England to this country and first settled in New Jersey. thence removing to Ohio and later to Pike County, Illinois, where he died. He served in the war of 1812. Elijah was a son of William Jeffers, a native of the north of Ireland. Samuel D. Jeffers came to Camargo Township in 1869, from Adams County, this state, where he farmed up to within the past ten years, since which time he has kept the meat market at Camargo. On February 22, 1855, he was wedded to Rachel J. Orr, a daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Orr. In the beginning of 1865 he volunteered in the Forty-seventh Illinois Infantry, and was in service till the close of the Civil war.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
George C .Jeffers, after leaving school, taught for one year, and in 1879 became a clerk for A. W. Bragg, in the latter’s store at Camargo, in which capacity he continued till 1893, when he became a partner, with one-half interest, and the firm name became Bragg & Jeffers. ‘Hie general store and banking house of Bragg & Jeffers, containing two departments, carries a stock of general merchandise valued at about $2o,ooo, requiring a corps of four clerks, and does an annual business of from $35,000 to $4o,0o0. George C. Jeffers is a clear headed and able business man whose industry and comprehensive grasp of details has to a great extent made this one of the leading mercantile firms of central Illinois.
In 1884 Mr. Jeffers married Miss Carrie, a daughter of W. H. Hall, an old and highly respected citizen and merchant of Camargo.