Biography of Edward Holmes Guyer
One of the comparatively few whose genius for large undertaking and achievement determines the destinies of the localities in which they live, is the subject of this sketch-Edward Holmes Guyer, of Rock Island. He is a native of the city, having been born there October 30, 1853.
His parents were Judge Samuel S. Guyer and Annette Holmes, daughter of the late George E. Holmes, of Port Byron. Judge Guyer was a pioneer of Rock Island County, of which he was county judge for a period of eight years, serving the county as sheriff for like period. He was one of the original proprietors of the Town of Coal Valley, and was an incorporator of the Coal Valley Mining Company, also of the Rock Island and Peoria Railroad Company and of Chippiannock Cemetery.
Edward Holmes Guyer received his education in the Rock Island Grade and High Schools. He graduated from the Michigan University, receiving therefrom the Degrees of Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws. He also studied for two years at Heidelberg, Germany.
Mr. Guyer entered upon his active business career in the City of Rock Island in the year 1879 when he opened his office and entered into the practice of law, which he has followed ever since. He was secretary and attorney for the Rock Island and Milan Street Railway Company and of the Moline Central Street Railway Company, the first road in Illinois to be equipped with modern electric motors.
Mr. Guyer has been attorney and manager of the Rock Island Mutual Building Loan and Savings Association since its organization twenty-six years ago; has been director of the Chippiannock Cemetery Association since 1882, and its president for more than twenty years.
His interests in real estate have been very extensive. He platted in Rock Island, Guyer Sub-division, Guyer’s First, Second and Third Additions, Edgewood Park, First and Second Additions to Edgewood Park, College Heights and Buford and Guyer Additions. In Moline he platted Prospect Park and First and Second Fairmount Additions. In the year 1895 platted the Town of East Moline on a tract of twelve hundred acres.
Mr. Guyer’s public services to the Cities of Rock Island and Moline have been great. He originated and carried to a successful conclusion the project of locating the Water-town Hospital for the Insane .at Water-town, and the location of the small arms’ plant at Rock Island Arsenal in which enter-prise he spent six weeks at Washington to secure an appropriation from Congress. He was one of a delegation of three to the Head Camp of the Modern Woodmen of America held at Omaha, securing the removal of the head offices from Fulton to Rock Island.
Mr. Guyer has been twice elected a director of the Rock Island Club, and was its president in 1905. He represented the Seventh Ward of his city in the years 1892 and 1893. He is a Republican, but of the independent order. His marriage to Miss Constance Kim-ball, of Paris, Maine, was celebrated in the year 1886. Of this union the children are Alice F. Guyer and Edward F. Guyer.