David B. Wright was born in Millerstown, Pennsylvania, March 26, 1867, a son of John B. and Elmira (Cox) Wright, both of whom are natives of Pennsylvania. His father, who died in Missouri, enlisted in the Forty-second Pennsylvania Infantry and served until the battle of Gettysburg. He and his wife had five children: William I., deceased; James A. of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; David B.; Minerva, widow of John L. McKinsie of Champaign; and John B., deceased.
When David B. Wright was seven years of age he was sent to a soldiers’ orphans’ home in Pennsylvania, where he remained until he was sixteen. After that he continued as a teacher in the orphans’ home for one year. While there, in addition to literary studies, he had learned the marble cutting trade and he worked at it for three years at Newport, Pennsylvania, and subsequently was in business at another town in that state.
In 1889 Mr. Wright came out to Champaign County and located at Mahomet. For about four years he was employed on farms, and then capitalized his experience and invested his modest means in a place of 100 acres in section 17 of Champaign Township. That farm has since been the object of his constant endeavors at improvements and he has found himself well situated in later years, commanding the resources of a good farm and having every comfort that one could desire.
On February 18, 1892, Mr. Wright married Tillie Jahr, who was born at Mahomet in Champaign County. They have two children: Almeda Zay, who is now attending the Illinois Woman’s College at Jacksonville, and Helen Esther, a high school girl.
Politically Mr. Wright has been a Republican since casting his first vote. He is now assistant supervisor of highways. He is also deputy assessor and has served as president of the board of school trustees and as district commissioner of ditches. In Masonry he is district inspector of the Royal Arch Masons and was high priest of the Champaign chapter. The badge of jewels presented to him as high priest is an article he prizes highly.