Charles H. Spears, M. D. While the success of the ethical physician does not permit of the analysis to which a career in other lines of business or in other professions might be subjected, there are many things that indicate the standing of the reputable doctor of medicine. His associations in medical circles, his length of practice, his training, all have a bearing upon his relative success. Measured by whatever standard, Dr. Charles H. Spears is one of Champaign County’s foremost physicians. He has been in practice at the city of Champaign for upwards of twenty years.
Doctor Spears was born in Shelbyville, Illinois, April 22, 1873, a son of Henry and Rebecca (Warner) Spears. His father was a native of Ohio, moved from that state to Illinois, and was a farmer in both commonwealths. About six years ago he removed to Champaign, where he now lives retired.
Educated in the public schools of Illinois, Doctor Spears took up the study of medicine in the medical department of the University of St. Louis, where he was graduated in 1897. He then located in Pana, Illinois, where he practiced until moving to Champaign. So far as the practical demands upon his time and attention have permitted, he has neglected no opportunity to improve himself and gain the highest possible proficiency in his work. He took post-graduate courses in the Medical College of Chicago and had much hospital service, specializing in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat. He also studied along the lines of their specialties for one year in the hospitals of London, England.
After his return to the United States Doctor Spears resumed his practice in Champaign, where he has since been in practice. His finely equipped offices are in the Illinois Building, the finest building in the city. He has prospered in a business way and owns considerable real estate in Champaign and elsewhere.
Doctor Spears married Miss Nellie E. Ainsworth, a native of Champaign County. They have two sons, Charles and John. Doctor Spears is a Republican in politics, is affiliated with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Modern Woodmen of America and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is also a member of the Champaign County Medical Society, the Illinois State Medical Society, the Twin City Physicians’ Club, is on the staff of Julia F. Burnham Hospital and also on the staff of the Julia F. Burnham Training School for Nurses, and is local oculist for the Illinois Traction System and the Illinois Central Railway.