Biographical Sketch of J. W. Phillips
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
choose a state:
Of the many leading and successful business men of Tuscola who have fought their way successfully through life and who have been the architect of their own fortune in the true sense of that term is the subject of this sketch. He is a dealer in poultry, produce, fish, etc., and is also interested in the ice business. He founded his present business in Tuscola in 1896, constructing a building 80×20 feet, and one and one-half stories high. This building burned ill August of the following year, and he immediately erected on the same site a more commodious one, 120×30 feet. It is safe to say that Mr. Phillips’ poultry business is one of the very largest in the state outside of Chicago. He has about twenty-five men traveling and buying poultry and produce throughout the year. For fifteen years previous to his coming to Tuscola he was engaged in the same line at Arthur.
Mr. Phillips was born in Clay County, Tennessee, April 18, 1861, his parents removing when he was quite young to Hawkins County, some fifty-five miles east of Knoxville, in the same state. He is a son of William Phillips who was a native of Hawkins County, Tennessee. William married Miss Emily Phillips (no relation, though bearing the same name). The father died in 1863, and his mother in 188, aged seventy-seven years. In February, 1881 Mr. Phillips wedded Miss Nellie M. Fitch, of Coles County, Illinois. They have four children: Vena, Dona, E. W. and Herald. Mr. Phillips is a member of the Woodmen and Redmen.