J. L. Scott, dealer in groceries, queensware and glassware, Mattoon; was born in Henry Ky., in 1836; his early life was passed upon the farm, and his education was derived from the common schools; in 1856, he moved to Franklin, Ind., where he engaged in mercantile pursuits; in 1863, he returned to Kentucky, located in Louisville, and was employed in the United States Government Pay Department, under Gen. Thurston, Paymaster of the Army of the Cumberland; in the spring of 1865, he removed, with his parents to Coles Co., Ill., and purchased a farm of 160 acres northeast of Mattoon; in 1871, having disposed of his farm, he came to Mattoon, purchased a stock of groceries, and has since resided here. He was married Dec. 10, 1861, to Catharine J. Runyon, a native of Vernon, Jennings Co., Ind; has four children – William H., Mary F., Gracie and Charlie. Has held the office of Supervisor of Humboldt Tp.; is at present Worshipful Master of Mattoon Lodge, No. 260, A., F. & A. M.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.