Biographical Sketch of J. L. Aubert
J. L. Aubert, County Surveyor, Mattoon; was born in Licking Co., Ohio, Nov. 3, 1830; his father was a tiller of the soil, and his early life was that of a farmer’s son; at the age of 18, he began work at the carpenter’s trade, and worked under instruction three years. In 1854, he came West and settled in Moultrie Co., Ill., where he purchased land, farmed some, but for the most part followed his trade. In July, 1865, he located in Lebanon, St. Clair Co.; here he remained three years, during which time he contracted and built the public school buildings and the M. E. Church. In 1868, he lived a short time in Shelbyville, and removed from there to Jacksonville, Ill., where he was engaged on the Court House, the East Centenary Church, and on improvements to the Christian Church; he began the study of surveying many years ago, under the direction of J. R. Anderson, his brother-in-law, formerly County Surveyor in Ohio, and later of Moultrie Co., Ill. Mr. Aubert was elected Surveyor of Coles Co. in November, 1875. He was married in 1858 to Minerva R. Morgan, a native of Licking Co., Ohio.