J. B. Rigney, M. D., was born in Paoli, Orange County, Indiana, and is the son of William H. Rigney, who held the offices of sheriff, treasurer and collector. At about the age of sixteen he, with his family, moved to Terre Haute, Indiana, and for three years resided on a farm. Finding rural pursuits distasteful, he turned his attention to medicine. He commenced his studies under Dr. James H. Sherwood and continued with him for three years, when he went to Chicago and attended the Rush Medical College, from which he graduated in 1863. He then enlisted as hospital steward, serving until January, 1866, when he returned and practiced medicine eleven miles south of Terre Haute, and in 1867 came to Arthur, where he has since resided. In 1868 he married Miss Ora F. McDonald, of Mattoon.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.