Elijah Adams, farmer; P. O. Diona; was born in Licking Co., Ohio, Oct. 23, 1824; in the year 1838, his parents, John Adams, who was a native of New York, and Susanna Adams, a native of Maryland, moved to Coles Co., and settled on Sec. 17, where the son now resides, having entered the land; both died there, his mother in October, 1877, and his father, June, 1878. The subject of this sketch has always resided in this county with the exception of the years 1850 and 1851, when he was mining and prospecting in California. He has held the office of School Trustee and Director for fifteen years, and is such at the present time; was also Supervisor five years, Assessor four years, and is at present Commissioner of Highways. He owns 200 acres of land. He married Miss Louisa Anderson, daughter of James Anderson; her parents were natives of Virginia, and moved to Ohio, and from there came to Coles Co. in the year 1839; they both died on the farm adjoining that of Mr. Adams, upon which they had settled Aug. 21, 1843; Mr. Adams was born May 15, 1822; they had eight children, five living – John, born Aug. 17 1847 (and who married twice, his first wife being Miss Henrietta Irwin, whom he married in November, 1868, and who died April 25, 1873; his second wife was Miss Martha E. Walters, whom he was married to Jan. 16, 1874; they have three children – Wesley E., Mary E. and Dora E.), Rachel E., (now Mrs. Levi Moore), born March 11, 1850; James W., born Dec. 10, 1852, who married Miss Emily Goodman; Anor L., born July 25, 1860, and David E., born Oct. 17, 1862, and three died-Susanna (formerly Mrs. Reily Irwin), born July 21, 1844, died Oct. 28, 1877; Mary A., born April 11, 1857, died May 7, 1858; and Seth D., born Jan. 18, 1855, and died April 29, 1858.