Charles Chester Place. For more than half a century the Place family has been identified with one locality in Champaign County, section 36 of Sidney Township. This is the farm home of Charles Chester Place, who was born there and has followed up the pioneer enterprise of his father with signally successful efforts of his own.
Mr. Place was born February 9, 1880, and is a son of Jefferson R. and Henrietta (Cash) Place. His father was a native of Ohio and his mother of Pennsylvania. Jefferson R. Place came to Champaign County in 1865, and at that time bought 120 acres in section 36 of Sidney Township. He did much to develop and improve the land, and at the time of his death in 1905 left it as property many times more valuable than when he bought it. His widow is still living at Sidney. They were the parents of three children: Edgar of Homer Township; Edna, wife of George Trees of Ohio; and Charles C.
Charles C. Place has lived on the home farm all his life. After attending the district schools he learned farming under the capable direction of his father and at his father’s death became active manager of the homestead. He is now farming 240 acres and owns considerable of the land in his own right. He has successfully combined the raising of the staple crops with live stock. Mr. Place is a Republican in politics and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
He married Mrs. DeEtta Mumm, a native of Sidney. They are the parents of five children, all at home, named Oliver, Melvin, Carl, Opal, and Pearl.