Wanda L. Gentry, 83, of Ontario, who with her husband established the Gentry Ford Sales dealership, died July 27, 2005, at her home in the Meadow Brook Retirement Center.
Her funeral will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday at St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church in Ontario. Ontario’s Lienkaemper Chapel is in charge of arrangements.
Wanda was born on March 18, 1922, at Portland to Walter B. and Verna D. Coffinberry. The family lived at Portland until 1926 when they relocated to Hot Lake and subsequently moved to Halfway in 1928. Wanda was a 1940 Halfway High School graduate.
She moved to Portland after high school to attend business school. Wanda married her high school sweetheart, Keith Gentry, on April 4, 1942. She continued to live and work in Portland during World War II while Keith was serving in the U.S. Navy.
After Keith’s discharge, they moved to Baker City where they owned and operated the Third and B Market, a small grocery and convenience store. In 1949, Wanda and Keith moved to Pendleton where Keith got his start in the automobile business.
In 1952, they purchased the Ford Dealership at Weiser, Idaho. In 1958, they purchased the Ford dealership in Ontario and established Gentry Ford Sales Inc. Wanda was very active and involved in the business operations of the dealership throughout her life.
Wanda was a member of St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church and PEO, Chapter AF. She was an avid golfer, fisherman and football fan. She had an opportunity to travel extensively throughout the world and truly enjoyed traveling with friends. Wanda’s favorite times were spent at the cabin in McCall.
She was preceded in death by her parents and her husband.
Survivors include her son and daughter-in-law, John and Alicia Gentry of Ontario; a granddaughter, Kelli, and her husband, Dennis Wright, of Baker City; a grandson, J.Ryan Gentry of Ontario; and three great-grandsons, Nathan, Eli and Jacob, all of Baker City.
Memorial contributions may be made to St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church or the charity of one’s choice.
Used with permission from: Baker City Herald, Baker City, Oregon, August 5, 2005
Transcribed by: Belva Ticknor