Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Business enterprise and success at Caldwell, Idaho, have an able representative in the subject of this sketch, William H. Redway, dealer in hardware and groceries.
He was born in Scranton, Pennsylvania, December 11, 1858, son of A. G. Redway, an honored pioneer of Idaho, whose history is referred to at length on another page of this work. William H. was very small at the time the family came west and settled on the Idaho frontier, and here he was reared, his education being received in St. Michael’s school at Boise and St. Mark’s school at Salt Lake City, both institutions under the supervision of the Episcopalian church. After completing his studies at Salt Lake City he returned to Boise and accepted the agency of the Utah, Idaho & Oregon stage line, which business occupied his time and attention for three years.
During that period he was in what was known as the Wood river excitement, engaged in mercantile business for eight years. Selling out his business on Wood river, he moved to Salt Lake City, where he became bookkeeper for a large dry-goods house. In 1892 he came to Caldwell and bought out the mercantile firm of the M. B. Gwinn Mercantile Company, and has since been in business at this place, keeping a large and carefully selected stock of goods and controlling a large trade, his success being gained through honorable and upright methods. Mr. Redway ranks today as one of the most prosperous and popular merchants of the town and stands high also in the business circles of the state.
October 25, 1891 he married Miss Edith Jacobs, daughter of an honored pioneer of Idaho, who came here in 1863 and who was one of the prominent merchants of Boise. Mr. and Mrs. Redway have three little daughters, Mary E., Annie L. and Helen E.
Both he and his wife are members of the Episcopal church of Caldwell, and he maintains fraternal relations with the I. O. O. F. and K. of P.