George Robert McCall, minister, was born February 7, 1829, in Screven County, Georgia, and died October 6, 1895. He was the son of Rev. Moses N. and Caroline Griner McCall. He united with the Black Creek Baptist Church in 1844; graduated with honors from the literary department of Mercer University in 1853, and from the theological department in 1854.
He was ordained minister September 24, 1854, and served as pastor first at Richland Church, Twiggs County. In 1865 he was called to the Hawkinsville Baptist Church, having up to that time preached to the churches at Providence, in Wilkinson County, Stone Creek and Beech Spring, in Twiggs County, Evergreen and Blue Spring, in Pulaski County, and Rocky Creek, in Laurens County.
After going to Hawkinsville, his territory included a radius of twenty-five miles, taking in Antioch and Corinth Churches in Pulaski and Hayneville in Houston County. He was moderator of the District Association and a member of the Pulaski County Board of Education. He spent seventeen years in Hawkinsville, leaving there in 1882 to take charge of the First Baptist Church at Griffin, Ga.
In 1885 he accepted the call of the State Mission Board to conduct the institutes for colored ministers and deacons. For two years he was secretary of the Southern Baptist Convention, and for twenty-seven years secretary of the Georgia Baptist Convention.
In 1888 he moved to Macon, Georgia, as financial agent of Mercer University, being also secretary and treasurer of the board of trustees. Later he became professor of theology, succeeding Dr. Ryalls. His last residence was in Macon.
He first married Mary Ann Evans, and to them were born three children: Benjamin, George, and Mary Hattie. He next married Allie Edwards. Nine children were born to them, as follows: Walker, Caroline, William Edwards, Clara, Emmie, Thomas, Allie, Henry Bunn, and Warren.