Sir Claudius Stephen Hunter
Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
SIR CLAUDIUS STEPHEN HUNTER: (1775-1851), Lord Mayor of London, born at Beech Hill, near Reading, Feb. 24, 1775, was the youngest son of Henry Hunter (1739-1789) of Beech Hill, Berkshire, a barrister, by Mary, third daughter of William Sloane, the greatnephew of Sir Hans Sloane, bart. His sister Mary (d. 1847) was second wife of William Manning, M.P., for Leamington, and was thus mother of Cardinal Manning. He was educated at Newcome’s School at Hackney, and afterwards by a protestant clergyman in Switzerland. He entered as a student of the Inner Temple, but was subsequently articled for five years to Beardsworth, Burtley, & Moore solicitors of Lincoln’s Inn. He commenced business in 1797 as a solicitor in Lincoln’s Inn, in partnership with George Richards. A wealthy marriage in the same year proved of assistance, and his practice grew very large. He was solicitor to the commercial commissioner under the income duty acts, the London Dock Company, the Royal Institution, the Society for the Promotion of Religion and Virtue and Suppression of Vice, the Linnean Society, and the Royal Exchange Assurance Company. In Sept. 1804 he was chosen alderman of the ward of Bassishaw, and then relinquished the general management of his business to his partner. Two years afterwards he was appointed Lieutenant-Colonel of the Royal East Regiment of London Militia (becoming Colonel 10 Jan. 1810), and devoted much time to his regiment, which was occasionally called upon to serve at a distance from the metropolis. In June 1808 he was elected Sheriff of London. He retired from business as a solicitor on 11 January, 1811, and was called to the bar. On 9 Nov. 1811 he became Lord Mayor of the city of London, when he revived all the ancient ceremonies worthy of renewal, and his pageant was exceptionally magnificent. He was created a Baronet on 11 Dec. 1812, and made Honorary D.C.L. of the University of Oxford, 23 June 1819. He died at Mortimer Hill, Reading, Berkshire, 20 April 1851.