John Todd5, (John4, John3, John2, Christopher1) born Jan. 8, 1731, died Aug. 29, 1814, married Jemima,daughter of Daniel and Jemima (Lownsbury) Hoit, born Aug. 13, 1735, died Feb. 3, 1826. She was a descendant of Simeon Hoyte who settled in Charlestown, Mass. in 1629. The name had numerous variations such as Hoyt, Haight, Hait, Hayt, etc. Simeon Hoyte died at Stamford, Conn. There is an account of the family in Bolton’s History of Westchester County, New York, as well as a history of the Hoyt family of Stamford. About 1700, certain members of the family changed the spelling of the name from Hoyt to Hait.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Mr. Todd, though he was well past forty years of age, and had a large family to support, enlisted in the 9th regiment of the 4th brigade of the Connecticut Militia, serving under Lieut. Col. John Mead. His Captain being Charles Smith. Mr. Todd was a Sergeant and drummer. He participated in the battles of Washington Heights and White Plains. Time of service being from Oct. 1776 to Jan. 1777. By a close study of the dates, one can readily see that he left his large family of eight children, the youngest being an infant of but two months, to serve his country in her time of peril and need, to help expel the hated British who were approaching his home so closely. That point having been attained he returned quietly to his home and family. Is it not easy for one to imagine why his term of service was not longer?
He was one of the founders of the Universalist Church at Long Ridge. Shortly before his death he gave a plot of ground to his relatives, friends and neighbors, for a cemetery. It might be said that the deed of this lot was inscribed on his headstone as follows,
I give my friends this burial ground,
Here to rest till the last trump shall sound;
May we all in triumph rise,
To meet our Saviour in the skies.
This was the origin of the beautiful little rural cemetery at Long Ridge. The loving, brotherly spirit breathed in the third line, shows the caliber of his manhood. The same spirit seems to have descended to those who now care so unselfishly and tenderly, to the much enlarged grounds.
262. Deborah Todd, born June 10, 1755, in Long Ridge, Conn., died in 1836, in Volney, Oswego County, N. Y., married in 1776, Nathan, son of Capt. Joseph and Keziah (Wood) Benedict, who was born March 9, 1753, died Feb. 13, 1802, in Manlius, N. Y., having moved there from Salem, N. Y., in 1783.Children:
I. John Benedict, b. Nov. 11, 1778.
II. Polly Benedict, b. Feb. 1781, m. Obadiah Alber.
III. Joseph Benedict, b. Aug. 1784, d. Aug., 1856.
IV. Joel Benedict, b. Nov. 16, 1786, d. Oct. 27, 1823.
V. Betsey Benedict, b. 1791, m. Simon Hill; lived in Columbus Center, N. Y.
263. Mary Todd, b. Feb. 22, 1757.
264. Jemima Todd, b. Aug. 13, 1760, d. June 11, 1809.
265. Elnathan Todd, b. Feb. 2, 1764, d. Dec. 15, 1772.
266. Phebe Todd, born Dec. 1, 1765, died May 1, 1849, married Aug. 30, 1786, Ebenezer, son of Epenetus and Sarah (Judson) Webb, who was born May 27, 1764. Her ancestry may be seen in the Tuttle Genealogy, page 112, No. 245.11.Children:
I. Rufus Webb, b. April 6, 1787, m. April 13, 1806, Thankful Lockwood, and had issue;
(1) Sylvester L’Hommediew Webb, b. Jan. 28, 1807;
(2) Augusta Webb, b. June 21, 1808;
(3) Charles Lockwood Webb, b. Dec. 24, 1809;
(4) Cornelia Webb, b. Oct. 17, 1811;
(5) Harvey Patterson Webb, b. Nov. 19, 1816;
(6) Phebe Elizabeth Webb, b. Dec. 11, 1819.
II. James Webb, b. Nov. 25, 1788, m. in Bedford, N. Y., Dec. 23, 1813, Rhoda Hait, who died June 6, 1818; had issue:
(1) Abigail Julia Webb, b. Aug. 11, 1816;
(2) Phebe Webb, b. April 14, 1818.
III. Ebenezer Webb, b. March 27, 1791.
IV. Darius Webb, b. March 27, 1793.
V. Elnathan Todd Webb, b. Sept. 15, 1795.
VI. Hannah Todd Webb, b. March 2, 1798.
VII. George Webb, b. Oct. 17, 1800.
VIII. Rebecca Webb, b. Feb. 11, 1803.
IX. Harriet Webb, b. Dec. 28, 1805.
267. John Todd, b.(???)1767.
268. Noah Todd, born March 6, 1771, married Feb. 14, 1796, Eleanor Leonard, who was born March 1, 1777. Children:
I. Eliphalet Todd, b. Sept. 10, 1797.
II. Ezra Todd, b. May 13, 1799.
III. Edwin Todd, b. Aug. 26, 1802.
IV. Leander Todd, b. July 25, 1804, d. Jan. 7, 1807.
V. Joseph Todd, b. May 5, 1807.
VI. Maria Todd, b. Aug. 21, 1810.
VII. Augustus Todd, b. April 21, 1812.
269. Elnathan Todd, b. May 5, 1774.
270., b. Aug. 11, 1776.