Henry Coombs of Marblehead
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
choose a state:
A brief notice of this family is here given, to more clearly show its relative connection with that of the White and Haskell Families, and which is interwoven with them from the first to almost the last generation in a remarkable degree. To this end it is not necessary to give more than a mere outline of its history, making use of such names as will serve to connect each family of the several lines or branches.
(1) HENRY COOMBS1 was of Marblehead as early as Dec. 22, 1648, when he with others had lots laid out in the swamp. April 11, 1653, he sold a cow lease to John Legg, and in 1656 was chosen “way warden.” In 1661 ho had temporary charge of the Ferry, at which place he appears to have lived. In 1667 a complaint was made against him for uttering slanderous reports concerning Rev. Mr. Walton, of Marblehead, in saying that “ he preached nothing but lies, and be could prove him to be a knave.” (Co. Ct. Rec.)
The inventory of his estate was taken Sept. 16, 1669, by Henry Bartholomew, Moses Maverick, and Hilliard. Fishermam. He m. Elizabeth _______. Administration was granted on her estate June 13, 1709, to her son in law “Francis Grant, and wife Susannah, one of the daughters of the deceased,” who gave bonds with James Hawkins and Thomas Trevy.
2. HENRY2 living in 1690, when he settled the estate of his son John, Salem Village.
3. HUMPHREY2 about 1635: m. July 29, 1659, Bathsheba Rayment, dau. of Richard of Seabrook, Conn.
4. Deborah2 m. ______ House
5. ELEZABETH2 m. Thomas Trevy
7. SUSANNAH2 living 1718; m. Octr. 22, 1668, Francis Grant of Marblehead; will proved March 4, 1717—18
Nine children —
MARY3 b. July 16, 1669; d. young.
SUSANNAH3 b. Aug. 19, 1671 ; U. before 1718 ; m. July 1, 1692, Thomas, son of Thomas and Remember White. (See White Family, No. 2, Gen. 2d.)
FRANCIS3 b. Nov. 25, 1673. Administration granted widow Priscilla, June 26, 1712.
SARAH3 b. Aug. 24, 1675; m. _____ Merritt.
JANE3 b. Aug. 29, 1679; m. _____ Knight.
JOHN3 b. Aug. 30, 1682.
Davod3 b. Nov. 14, 1684; d. before 1718.
HENRY3 b. July 30, 1687.
MARY3 b. April 12, 1694; m. _____ Pitman.
8. RICHARD2 Jan. 1693—4; m. Margaret ______
One child —
BRIDGET3 b. Feb. 25, 1689; m. Jan. 19, 1710, John Lapthorne