The earliest record of a Toby or Tobey in our American annals is that of one Francis of Boston, who was in court on July 7, 1635.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The first known and credited ancestor of this family was Thomas Tobey, of Scituate, Mass. He removed to Sandwich, Mass., and was a member of church there in 1694. He married at Sandwich Nov. 18, 1650, Martha Knott, daughter of George Knott, deceased. Their children were:
- Thomas, born Dec. 8, 1651
- Samuel, and perhaps others
Samuel Tobey, son of Thomas, died Sept. 22, 1737. His wife’s name was Abia, and their children were:
- Joanna, born May 22, 1697, who married Benjamin Spooner, of Dartmouth, Nov. 29, 1716
- Cornelius, born Sept. 12, 1699
- Tabitha, born Nov. 9, 1701, who married May 9, 1726, Joseph Freeman
- Zaccheus, born Jan. 14, 1703-04
- Ruth, born Sept. 8, 1706
- Jonathan, born May 13, 1709
- Eliakim, born Oct. 19, 1711
- Samuel, born May 8, 1715
- Thomas, born Aug. 14, 1720
- Elisha, born 1723
Jonathan Tobey, son of Samuel, born May 13, 1709, married Dec. 7, 1732, Abigail Lewis. His descendants, as well as those of Zaccheus (who married Sarah Pope), are found in Dartmouth.
Jonathan Tobey, Jr., son of Jonathan, born in 1740, married in Dartmouth Dec. 28, 1777, Love White, of Freetown. Their children were:
- John, born Aug. 31, 1778, married (intentions published) Aug. 10, 1804, Fanny Rounseville
- Capt. Silas, born Aug. 31, 1781, died at Hudson, N. Y., March 17, 1816
- Molly, born Aug. 12, 1783, died July 11, 1785
- Sally, born June 26, 1785, married (intentions published) April 29, 1809, Salisbury Sherman
- Jonathan, born July 12, 1787, married (intentions published in Rochester) Nov. 9, 1810, Hannah Sears
- Merchant, born April 3, 1791, married Hannah
- William Isaac, born July 6, 1793, married Ruby
- Cornelius was born May 26, 1796
- Leonard, born Jan. 6, 1799, died unmarried
- Love Merchant, born April 28, 1801, married (intentions published in Rochester) April 9, 1821, Jesse Sears
- Abisha Hurford was born Sept. 5, 1804
- Jonathan Tobey, Jr., the father, died Aug. 16, 1816.
Jonathan Tobey, son of Jonathan, Jr., and Love (White), born July 12, 1787, married (intentions published) Nov. 9, 1810, Hannah Sears, daughter of Nathaniel and Hannah (Keene) Sears, of Rochester. Their children were:
- Jane Frances (married Samuel Ivers)