1850 Gazetteer of Revelstoke England
REVELSTOKE parish has its church on the sea coast, near Stoke Point and Bigbury Bay, but most of its inhabitants are in the large fishing village of NOSS MAYO, which lies in a low situation, on the south side of a creek from the mouth of the Yealm, opposite Newton Ferrers, nine miles S.E. of Plymouth. Crabs, lobsters, herrings, and other fish are caught at Noss Mayo, where the villagers suffered severely from cholera in 1849, when about 50 of them died, and more than 200 were afflicted with the dreadful malady. Liberal subscriptions were made for the relief of the sufferers, and a medical gentleman was sent down from London to their assistance. The parish had 613 inhabitants in 1841, and contains 1470A. 2R. 19P. of land. The manor of Revelstoke was long the property and seat of the Revells, and was sold about 12 years ago, by Sir J. Perring, to its present owner, Robert Robertson, Esq., of Membland. W. W. Pendarves, Esq., owns the manor of Lambside, and part of the parish belongs to a few smaller owners. The Church is an ancient structure, with a belfry and two bells; and in Noss Mayo, is a small Chaple of Ease, erected in 1839. The benefice is a perpetual curacy, consolidated with the vicarage of Yealmpton. Here is 4A. 3R. 37P. of glebe, but no parsonage. The tithes have been commuted, the vicarial for £116, and the rectorial for £140 per annum. The trustees of the late Rev. J. Kenrick are lessees of the latter. The poor have a house and garden purchased with £20, left by Sir Wm. Hele, in 1625, and other benefaction money.