1850 Gazetteer of Dean-Prior England
Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
DEAN-PRIOR parish, from 3 to 5 miles S.S.W. of Ashburton, has 552 souls, and about 4000 acres of land, including nearly 1400 acres of open common, on the eastern side of Dartmoor Forest. Its villages are Dean Town and Dean Church Town, on the Exeter and Plymouth road, where there are several woolcombers, and where the gentlemen and hounds of the celebrated Dean Hunt usually assemble. The manor of Dean Prior was held by the Prior of Plympton, and now belongs, with that of Skerraton, to Sir J. B. Y. Buller, but Sir W. P. Carew, and a few smaller owners have estates here. Dean Court, a large Tudor mansion, formerly a seat of the Giles and Yarde families, is occupied by a farmer. The Church (St. George,) has lately been rebuilt, except the tower, at the cost of about £1500, by Sir J. B. Y. Buller, who is impropriator of the rectory, and patron of the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £21, and in 1831 at £309. The Rev. R. C. Kitson, who is the incumbent, has a good residence, and 23A. 1R. 17P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1835, the vicarial for £228, and the rectorial for £153. 13s. 10d. The Church House was built by the parishioners in the 5th of Henry VIII., and is let for £4. 10s. Colly Mead (1A.,) let for £4, was given by John Edwards in 1610, two-thirds for the poor of this parish, and one-third for those of Dartington. The poor of this parish have also the following yearly sums:- 20s., as interest of £20, left by one Bowerman, and lent to the overseers; 20s., left in 1800, by Robt. Bradford, out of Hamlin’s tennement, at Buckfastleigh; 7s., left by Thomas Bovey, and paid by the overseers of Diptford; and £4. 10s., from £90 navy five per cent. stock, purchased with £90 left by Wm. Stidston, in 1818.