CHIVELSTONE, a small village, nearly 6 miles S.S.E. of Kingsbridge, has in its parish 591 souls, and 2696 acres of land, extending southward to the romantic sea cliffs between Start and Prawle Points, near Start Bay and the mouth of Kingsbridge or Salcombe haven; and including the fishing village of Prawle, and the hamlets of Ford and South Allington. Prawle has about 312 inhabitants, and a coastguard station; and below the cliffs is a tract of fertile land. Thos.Newman, Esq., is lord of the manor, but a great part of the parish is freehold, belonging to N. Pitts, Esq., and several smaller owners. Mr.Pitts has a handsome mansion at South Allington. The Church (St. Sylvester) is an ancient fabric, with a tower and five bells, but only one usable. It was repaired about 30 years ago, when new windows were inserted. The old rood loft remains, and the pulpit is formed out of a solid block of wood. The living is a perpetual curacy, consolidated with Stokenham vicarage, there being neither parsonage nor glebe here. The tithes were commuted in 1842, the vicarial for £164.10s., and the rectorial for £137. Here is a small Bible Christian Chapel, and at Ford is an Independent Chapel,which was built in 1750, and enlarged in 1818, and is now under the ministry of the Rev. Wm. Miles of Frogmore.
1850 Gazetteer of Chivelstone England
MLA Source Citation:White, William. History, gazetteer, and directory of Devonshire. William White Publisher, 1850. AccessGenealogy.com. Web. 26 May 2016.
https://www.accessgenealogy.com/genealogy/1850-gazetteer-of-chivelstone-england.htm- Last updated on Mar 1st, 2013
This page is part of a larger collection. Access the full collection at History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire 1850.