The Sherburne Union School was organized in the spring of 1847, by uniting the two districts in the village and the districts north and south of it. The first school meeting was held in April, 1847. The first trustees were Benjamin Skinner, Andrus Benedict and E. S. Lyman. John P. Dietz was chosen clerk and served as such several years. The first teachers were Catharine Tuttle, principal, Abby Hayward, daughter of Dr. Hayward, of Columbus, and Harriet Marks, daughter of Dr. Marks, of Sherburne. J. W. Mandeville succeeded Miss Tuttle as principal after one term and remained a year and a half. Others who served as principal were I. Fayette Pettibone, Isaac B. Collins, (???) Loomis, Miss Sophronia Beebe, Russell Alcott, Willard Race, George P. Cushman, Devillo W. Harrington. That organization was continued under the rate bill till the organization of the Union Free School, as District No. 7. Union Free School of Sherburne.–Nov. 27, 1866, Isaac Plumb, J. M. Collwell, W. H. Lucas, T. B. Carpenter, J. M. Jenkins, A. McKay, P. G. Dietz, A. Whitford, T. H. Matteson, F. B. Coats, A. D. Gorham, D. C. Reynolds, H. Rowland, N. Hopson, S. J. Abbott, P. J. Hunt, E. S. Lyman, Amos Beebe, C. B. Weaver, C. S. Waters, F. Van Keuren, A. Hartman, T. Coats and J. Reynolds signed a call for a meeting of the persons...Read More
Collection: History of Chenango and Madison Counties New York
The Duanesburgh colonists who settled this town arrived on the afternoon of Saturday, in March, 1793, and the second Sabbath following their arrival they met and inaugurated religious services which have been continued to the present time. July 6, 1794, Nathaniel and Bethiah Gray, Elijah and Sarah Gray, Abraham and Betsey Raymond, Timothy and Ruth Hatch, Elisha and Patience Gray, Josiah Lathrop, Eleazer Lathrop, Mabel, wife of Newcomb Raymond, Ruth, wife of Joel Hatch, Melissa, wife of James Raymond, and Ezra Lathrop and Mariam, his wife, were formed into a church by Rev. Mr. Campbell, a missionary, and denominated the First Congregational Church in Sherburne. (It is erroneously claimed that this was the first church organized in the county.) Nathaniel Gray and Abraham Raymond were chosen deacons. The former was the generally acknowledged father of the church. For thirteen years he was their leader and minister, except on occasions when missionary help was present, which was very seldom. At an early day a large and commodious school house was built in the Quarter and was ordinarily used by this church as a place of worship. In 1803 a church edifice was built on what was then called “Robinson Hill,” and though unfinished was used for religious purposes. It was soon felt that the location did not accommodate a majority of the people, and accordingly the work of moving it...Read More
Sherburne is a pleasant little village with broad and handsomely shaded streets, and in some measure supplied with good substantial flag walks. It is situated a little south of the center of the town, east of Chenango River, on the line of the Utica, Chenango & Susquehanna Valley railroad. It is distant about 10 1/2 miles from Norwich and five from Earlville. It contains six churches, (Congregational, Baptist, M. E., Universalist, Catholic and Episcopal) a Union Free School, with academic department, one newspaper office, (The Sherburne News) a National bank, a cotton factory, sash and blind factory, a carriage factory, a planing and grist-mill, a pottery, a steam sawmill, a small foundry, three hotels, various stores, five blacksmith shops, (kept by Solomon Crowell, James Stack, George Shaw, Henry DeMarse and James Connolly) a cabinet shop, (kept by Isaac Plumb) a wagon shop, (kept by Charles Hibbard) a harness shop, (kept by H. I. Matteson) two tailor shops, (kept by John Williams and E. Caley) and a population of 902. The village was incorporated April 16, 1830, but the records prior to 1863 are lost. Following are the village officers elected May 6, 1879:– Trustees–Hollis Rowland, Enos A. Caulkins, Charles Todd, Ira M. Slater. President–Walter Elsbre. Clerk–Robert A. Kutschbach. Treasurer–Harlow P. Freeman. Collector–John W. Thompson. Constable–James A....Read More
The first town meeting was held at the house of Timothy Hatch the first Tuesday in April, 1795. Isaac Foote was chosen moderator, and the following named officers were elected: Orsamus Holmes, Town Clerk; Isaac Foote, Supervisor; John Hibbard, Joseph Simons, Josiah Lathrop, Assessors; Eleazer Lathrop, Constable and Collector; John Guthrie, Constable; Joseph Porter, Samuel Picket, Overseers of the Poor; Joel Northrup, Abner Calkins, James Raymond, Stephen Parker, Joseph Guthrie, Overseers of Highways; Newcomb Raymond, Pound Keeper; John Lathrop, James Guthrie, Timothy Hatch, Commissioners of Highways; Joel Hatch, Ichabod Munger, Fence Viewers. The following list of the officers of the town of Sherburne, for the year 1880-’81, was kindly furnished by Robert A. Kutschbach:– Supervisor–Levi N. Smith. Town Clerk–Robert A. Kutschbach. Justices–Isaac Plumb, Henry Allfrey, John B. Wilbur, Lester Hayward. Assessors — William White, Charles W. Janes, Chester Gorham. Commissioner of Highways–Sidney T. Dart. Overseer of the Poor–E. Fayette Manwaring. Constables–M. Graham Dietz, Stephen Benedict, J. Sheffield Smith, James Foster. Archibald Whitford. Collector–Archibald Whitford. Inspectors of Election, District No. 1–Adelbert Harrington, John O’Brien, Irving W. Davis. Town Auditors–Andrew Davis, Alexander Ross, Edmund Shaw. Sealer of Weights and Measures–Charles H. Sanford. Game Constable–(Not qualified.) Excise Commissioners–Edgar Baldwin, Frederick A. Sexton, L. Onslow Miller. The following list of persons in Sherburne liable to duty as jurors was made Dec. 5, 1798, and is of historic value as tending in a measure...Read More
At his death March 27, 1875, Nelson C. Rexford, a son of the pioneer, Benjamin Rexford, devised to the town the falls property on Mad brook, about a mile east of Sherburne village, on the road from Sherburne to Columbus, including some three or four acres extending along the banks of the stream. February 15, 1876, the town accepted the devise and resolved to designate the falls as Rexford Falls. The falls are about seventy-five feet in height. Below them the steep, rocky banks of the stream rise to a height of nearly a hundred feet and form a narrow romantic gorge. At the foot of the falls is a strong sulphur spring, the waters of which have been used beneficially for cutaneous diseases. A hotel known as the Sherburne Spring House, and kept by Charles Reynolds, was built in 1876 by the present proprietor, adjacent to the falls, for the accommodation of those who wish to spend a season in the locality and enjoy the benefit of the springs. When further improved it will be a delightful resort for picnic and excursion...Read More
The first postmaster was James Elmore, who was appointed in January, 1801, and who was succeeded as early as 1805 by Sylvester Scoville, who was succeeded in 1829 or ’30 by Harry N. Fargo, who held the office till his death April 28, 1836, when Alexander Holmes received the appointment, and was succeeded in 1841 by William C. White, in 1845 by Edmund Shaw, in 1849 by Elisha J. Pratt, who held the office only a few months in that year, and was succeeded in May, 1849, by Elijah S. Lyman, who held the office till 1853, when Edmund Shaw was appointed and was succeeded in 1861 by Levi N. Smith, whom he in turn succeeded, but relinquished the office a few months later to Charles A. Fuller, the present incumbent, who was appointed Feb. 25, 1867, and has held the office continuously...Read More
The first physician was D. Lacy, who remained, however, but a short time. Dr. Asa White, a Vermont sufferer, having received a medical education in Vermont, removed from Putney in that State to the town of Bainbridge, where, about 1794, he married Sarah, daughter of Samuel Corbin, also a Vermont sufferer and an early settler in Bainbridge. About 1796, Dr. White removed to Sherburne, where he practiced till his death, Dec. 18, 1819, aged 47. His certificate of practice is signed by Joab Enos and bears date of Jan. 16, 1797, two years previous to which he had been in full practice. Samuel Guthrie, —- Miles, Israel Farrell and James Sheffield were early physicians here. Dr. Guthrie was born in Brimfield, Mass., in 1781, and in 1802 emigrated to Smyrna. He removed in 1816 to Sacket’s Harbor. He died in Sacket’s Harbor, Oct. 19, 1843. Dr. Farrell practiced here till his death, in the fall of 1833. He settled on Sherburne Hill, two miles west of the village. Dr. Sheffield settled a mile south of Earlville, where he practiced a good many years. He died March 23, 1849, aged 82. Aaron B. Bligh was practicing in the village before 1828. He removed about 1831 to Oneida county. Dr. Huchins Storrs came here about 1819 and practiced till his death in 1832, a short time in company with Devillo White....Read More
The first merchant in the town was James Elmore. His store stood opposite the cemetery about a mile and a half north of the central part of the village, where J. R. Dennison now lives. He also kept the first inn, built the first frame house, and was the first postmaster, receiving the latter appointment from Postmaster-General Joseph Habersham in January 1801. He died April 19, 1836. Zaccheus W. Elmore was probably the first merchant in the village. His store stood just south of the Medbury House. He traded till within some ten years of his death, Aug. 10, 1865, at the age of 85. Elias Babcock commenced trading about the same time in a store which stood opposite the bank, and continued at intervals some twenty-five years in company, the latter part of the time, with Milo Hunt, to whom he sold shortly before his death, June 10, 1833. Joshua Pratt, originally from Connecticut, came from Spencertown, Columbia county, about 1800, and a year or two after commenced mercantile business in a little yellow building which stood on the lot next north of the bank, in which he also resided. In 1809 he erected the building now occupied by the bank, and there continued the mercantile business till 1833, about which time he was succeeded by his sons Joshua and Walstien. Harry N. Fargo and Harvey Raymond commenced...Read More
The record of the legislative action taken by this town with reference to filling its quotas during the late war is too meager and incomplete to possess any historic value in that connection. From other sources, however, we learn some of the results of that legislation. The town of Sherburne furnished in aid of the suppression of the Rebellion 236 soldiers and 20 seamen, 49 of whom were natives of the town; 1 ranked as Assistant Surgeon, 3 as Captain, 9 as Lieutenant, 1 as Sergeant Major and 13 as Sergeant; 176 enlisted for three years, 12 for two years, 8 for one year and 9 for nine months. They were distributed among various organizations as follows: 1 each in the 3d, 23d, 62d, 71st, 101st, 131st, and 144th, 2 each in the 85th and 161st, 4 each in the 26th, 44th, 76th and 157th, 5 in the 149th, 7 in the 176th, 9 in the 17th, 28 in the 61st, and 47 in the 114th infantry regiments; 5 in the 8th, 8 in the 10th, 1 each in the 11th and 14th, and 6 in the 20th cavalry regiments; 2 each in the 3d and 7th, 14 in the 1st (light,) 3 in the 2d, 7 in the 4th, 3 in the 5th, 1 in the 8th, and 2 in the 14th (heavy) artillery regiments; 2 in the...Read More
The Sherburne National Bank was organized May 4, 1865, with a capital of $100,000, (all paid in) in shares of $100 each. The charter continues twenty years from its organization, and permits an increase of capital to any sum not exceeding $200,000. May 4, 1865, Joshua Pratt, Walter Elsbre, William Cook, Alonzo D. Gorham and Henry T. Dunham were elected directors; Joshua Pratt being chosen President, Walter Elsbre, Vice-President and Henry T. Dunham, Cashier. By-laws were adopted and it was voted to collect 25 per cent. of the capital stock in thirty days, and the remaining 25 per cent. in sixty days. At this time 50 per cent. had been paid in. The second installment of capital stock, $25,000, was paid May 30, 1865; the third and last, $25,000, July 1, 1865. Business was commenced July 4, 1865, in the building now occupied. The directors elected Jan. 14, 1879, were Joshua Pratt, Walter Elsbre, William Cook, Alonzo D. Gorham and Henry T. Dunham. There has been no change in the official management since the organization. Jan. 9, 1866, the first dividend, of three per cent. was ordered; July 10, 1866, and Jan. 14 and July 9, 1867, dividends of four per cent. were ordered; Jan. 7, 1868, and subsequently to the present time, semiannual dividends of five per cent. have been ordered. Report of the condition of the Sherburne...Read More
The first tavern in the village was kept by Dr. Asa White on the corner where the Presbyterian church now stands. The first tavern on the site of the Medbury House was built in 1803 by Samuel Stebbins, who kept it in company with Bela Scoville till about 1809. That building forms the south-west part of the present hotel, the main portion of which was built by U. T. Harvey. The present proprietor is William L. Daniels, who purchased a half interest in the J. G. Smith property in April, 1877, and the remaining half interest of H. B. Griswold, in June, 1879. The Hopson House was built by L. R. Hopson while the Chenango canal was in process of construction, (1834-‘6,) and was kept by him for several years at different times. It is now kept by W. W. Gillson, who leased the property of N. G. Hopson, June 1, 1879. The American House was built in 1872, by James Hinman, for a tenant and boarding-house. In 1876 L. D. Hopson, the present proprietor, bought the property and converted it into a hotel, and has since kept it as...Read More
The first prominent lawyer in Sherburne was Roswell Judson, from Delaware county, who was admitted to practice June 10, 1835. He was elected county judge in 1847, and re-elected in 1851. He went west soon after the expiration of his judgeship. Francis S. Edwards practiced here a few years between 1840 and 1850. Ira P. Barnes, a native of Columbus in this county, was admitted June 13, 1839, and practiced here a few years about the middle of the century. George P. Avery, also from Columbus, was contemporary with Barnes. Alfred Nichols came from Earlville about the time Avery left. None others of prominence have located here since, except those now practicing here. They are Delos L. Atkyns, Charles A. Fuller, Stephen Holden and Robert A. Kutschbach. Delos L. Atkyns, was born in Pharsalia in this county, Sept. 30, 1840, and educated in the district schools of his native town. He commenced to read law in 1862 with Rexford & Kingsley, of Norwich, with whom he completed his studies. He was admitted in May, 1865, and commenced practice that year in Sherburne, where he has since continued. Charles A. Fuller was born in Edmeston, Otsego county, Aug. 17, 1841, and educated in the district schools of his native town and the academic department of Madison University. He was graduated from the Albany Law School in the spring of 1865....Read More
H. Ross & Co.’s Steam Cotton Mills were built in 1863 by a stock company organized in 1862, with a capital of $80,000, which was increased in 1864 to $100,000, which is the present capital. The first president was Hector Ross, who held the office till, and was sole owner of the establishment at his death, July 24, 1872. The present proprietors are the heirs of Hector Ross. They employ about one hundred persons, about two-thirds of whom are females. The building is a three-story brick structure, 164 by 60 feet. It contains some 8,000 spindles. About 46,000 yards of cotton cloth are manufactured per week. Connected with the mills is a store, in which a general stock of merchandise is kept. It was built at the same time as the mills and enlarged in 1878. Walter F. Blanchard is the proprietor of an extensive sash, door and blind manufactory. The business was established in 1847, by Walter F. Blanchard and Whitman Kenyon, who carried it on in company till 1853, when Mr. Blanchard bought his partner’s interest, and has since carried it on alone. The original buildings erected here stood above the present ones, near the cotton mill, on the opposite side of the canal, and were burned Oct. 5, 1868. The present buildings were erected in 1868, and the machinery put in and the business resumed the...Read More
SHERBURNE was formed from Paris, Oneida county, March 5, 1795, and its name is said to have been suggested by a member of the Legislature, who affirmed that the early inhabitants were in the frequent habit of singing the tune of Sherburne, which was a great favorite with them. It originally embraced the town of Smyrna, (Stafford,) which was taken off March 25, 1808. It was enlarged by the annexation of a small part of New Berlin in 1852. It lies upon the north border of the county, east of the center, and is bounded on the north by Hamilton, Madison county, on the south by New Berlin and North Norwich, on the east by Columbus, and on the west by Smyrna. The highest elevations are from 200 to 500 feet above the valleys of the streams. Chenango River enters the town near the north-west corner and flowing in a south-easterly direction leaves it near the center of the south border, receiving in its course through the town Handsome, Mad and Nigger brooks from the east and Pleasant brook and several smaller streams from the west. It is underlaid by the rocks of the Hamilton, Portage and Ithaca groups, which have been sufficiently referred to in connection with the geology of the county. The soil is chiefly a gravelly and slaty loam, but in the valleys, especially that of...Read More
The first recorded meeting was held at the house of Linus R. Hopson Oct. 12, 1850, by the “Sherburne Fire Engine Company.” Ira P. Barnes was called to the chair and B. W. Fay appointed secretary. A constitution and bylaws were then adopted and the following named officers elected: Isaac Plumb, Foreman; Deloss Burch, First Assistant Foreman; George Y. Knapp, Second Assistant Foreman; Byron Marks, Secretary; Sidney L. Starr, Treasurer. This company was disbanded June 7, 1858, and another organized under the same name June 9, 1858, of which T. H. Matteson was elected Foreman; L. N. Beers, First Assistant Foreman; L. D. Burch, Second Assistant Foreman; F. R. Lyman, Secretary; and D. C. Bresee, Treasurer. The constitution and by-laws of the former company were adopted. This company was disbanded August 2, 1858; and a third company was organized under the same name and by-laws April 20, 1859. The new engine house seems to have been built in 1868. In 1874 a new engine was purchased in Boston. Torrent Hose Co. was organized Jan. 14, 1875. Feb. 1, 1875, the engine company adopted the name “Torrent No. 1,” and on that day new rules and regulations were adopted by Torrent Engine Co. No. 1, Torrent Engine Co. No. 2 and Active Hose Co. No. 1. Officers elected Jan. 6, 1879: Torrent Fire Engine Co. No. 1–Charles Hart, Chief Engineer;...Read More
- Alabama Genealogy
- Alaska Genealogy
- Arizona Genealogy
- Arkansas Genealogy
- California Genealogy
- Colorado Genealogy
- Connecticut Genealogy
- Delaware Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy
- Hawaii Genealogy
- Idaho Genealogy
- Illinois Genealogy
- Indiana Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy
- Kansas Genealogy
- Kentucky Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy
- Maine Genealogy
- Maryland Genealogy
- Massachusetts Genealogy
- Michigan Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy
- Missouri Genealogy
- Montana Genealogy
- Nebraska Genealogy
- Nevada Genealogy
- New Hampshire Genealogy
- New Jersey Genealogy
- New Mexico Genealogy
- New York Genealogy
- North Carolina Genealogy
- North Dakota Genealogy
- Ohio Genealogy
- Oklahoma Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy
- Pennsylvania Genealogy
- Rhode Island Genealogy
- South Carolina Genealogy
- South Dakota Genealogy
- Tennessee Genealogy
- Texas Genealogy
- Utah Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy
- Virginia Genealogy
- Washington Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy
- Wyoming Genealogy
Free Genealogy Archives
- Virginia High School YearbooksFebruary 22, 2017The following collection of free high school yearbooks and annuals from the state of Virginia comes from the collection of the Library of Virginia. ...
- History and Genealogy of Blue Hill, MaineAugust 29, 2016From the record of the town’s annual meeting held “March 6, 1769”, we learn that it was “Voted that Joseph Wood, Jonathan ...
- 1776-1805 Dutchess County, New York Marriage RecordsAugust 11, 2016These marriage records were transcribed by Lester Card and compiled in 1949. Mr. Card’s introduction to this transcription reads: “These ...
- The Stillwater Messenger, 1861-1874April 27, 2016In the valedictory of A. J. Van Vorhes, written when he sold the Stillwater Messenger plant to Willard S. Whitmore, I find it stated that the first ...
- Yearbooks of the Bayport-Blue Point High School, 1945-2011April 20, 2016The Bayport-Blue Point Public Library has digitized 65 years of yearbooks from the Bayport-Blue Point High School. The books have been scanned and ...
- Monroe County, New York Cemetery RecordsApril 8, 2016The extensive online listings for Monroe County, New York cemetery records should provide researchers with a clear picture of what is still ...
- Calloway County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- Boone County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- A Genealogy of Isaac Elbert BrushSeptember 22, 2015Two publications of, one typescript, and one handwritten manuscript for the Brush genealogy entitled, A Concise Genealogy of Isaac Elbert Brush and ...
- Progressive Men of Western ColoradoJune 10, 2015This manuscript in it’s basic form is a volume of 948 biographies of prominent men and women, all leading citizens of Western Colorado. Western ...