The Grant County Oregon genealogy and history has been derived from different sources and combined here to provide a convenient way for you to access the data.Read More
Collection: Grant County Oregon Genealogy
The above firm composed of W. H. Johnson and Clarence and C. P. Johnson, have done perhaps as much towards developing the resources of Grant County as any of her citizens. They are all men of sterling character and more than ordinary business ability. They settled in the Big Basin on the John Day River in 1872, and became engaged in stock rising, which they followed until 1883, they then went into the sheep business, and today own in the neighborhood of 15,000, and have about two thousand acres of land on the John Day River. In 1894 they became interested in mining in the Quartsburg district, buying out the Bardwell claims, a group of four. In 1895 they began developing, and have erected a ten-ton Crawford mill. There property has become a very valuable one. They are also interested in the Canyon City Telephone Company, running from Canyon City to Baker City, Bourne, and the Bonanza and Columbia mines, altogether about 110 miles of long distance wire, with metallic circuit, and also city exchanges, Clarence Johnson being president of the company and C. P. Johnson vice...Read More
The establishment of the above gentlemen, dealers in general merchandise, is a credit to Canyon City. Selling their goods at as close it margin its possible, believing in making small profits and having their customers well satisfied, they have an enviable reputation for fair and honest dealing. W. R. Cunnington, the senior member of the firm, has been in business here since 1803, and F. P. Horsley since September last, although both gentlemen were previously engaged in other pursuits In Grant County. At present they are operating two stores, the stone one 26×50, the frame, 22×30, both having fireproof cellars, and with warehouse accommodations this gives them an opportunity to carry sufficient stock to cater to the wants of both the stockmen and miner. Their stock embraces a complete one, comprising as it does dry goods, groceries, clothing, furnishings, boots, shoes, stationery, patent medicines, etc. In waiting on the trade they are assisted by Ben. L. Leland and E. B. Haguewood both widely known in this...Read More
The Humboldt Mining Company, who control our of the largest and best hydraulic properties in this section, was organized in 1881 by Horose Sloan, Ira Sproul, Herbert Hunter, Fred Frey, Harry Heppner and Fred Yorgenson, to work 320 acres lying adjacent to Canyon City. The properly had been worked by the drifting process since 1862, with an average success yearly of nearly a million dollars. The nature of the property is that of an old river channel running with gold. A ditch has been built on it 8½ miles long, with a capacity of 1,000 inches of water. The present owners, who are all men of long experience, have put in two giant, and 2000 feet of hydraulic pipe, also self open reservoirs. Adjacent to this property there lies over two miles of rich creek bottom. The larger portion of which belongs to this Company, of which Ira Sproul is the general...Read More
Four miles southeasterly of Granite, on Clear Creek, is located the Red Boy, the property of Messrs. Godfrey & Tabor. It came into their possession about four years ago, and hardly any work was done on it up to that time; In fact, there was only a 180 foot tunnel which cut the property about 75 feet below the apex of the hill. On the other properties the Congo, Gold Monarch and Blaine, there had hardly been enough work done to establish their true value. These are all patentable properties, as well as the Climax, which has been located since. Messrs. Godfrey & Tabor have driven at 500 foot tunnel on the Red Boy proper, and drifting north and south have cross cut 900 feet on the vein. A year and a half ago they started on the lower tunnel that cuts the Climax and Monarch, and are now crosscutting the Red Boy, the length of this tunnel is 1000 feet, and they are still working on it. In this piece of work they haven’t as yet cut the Red Boy vein, but expect to soon. Their mill, which is now being erected, is a twenty stamp, 1000 lb. 8 Johnson concentrators, run with waterpower. They have a covered ditch 2½ miles long, capable of carrying 1000 miner’s inches. They have also erected a boarding house, shops and all...Read More
Niven & Ditmars, of Granite, is it large mercantile firm who not only supply the family trade, but also meet the wants of miners and mining companies in the line of lumber, tools, steel, powder and till kinds of mining supplies. Their store, which we show by an accompanying illustration, has a frontage of 44 feet, and a depth of 54, with a fire proof wardroom attached. Their line is a complete one, including drugs, and by courteous and liberal treatment, they have built up a trade that speaks volumes for their personal popularity. They also are engaged in the lumber business, their mill being situated about three miles west of Granite. It has a capacity of fifteen thousand, and as they are putting in a planer they are now prepared to furnish all kinds of dressed lumber. The firm is composed of J. N. Dithers and Neil Riven, both public spirited and energetic citizens, and who have at all times lent their aid in every manner for the advancement of the interests of the town and county. Joseph N. Ditmars, one of the members of the firm, has lived an adventurous life. He was born in Ohio in 1848, but moved at the age of two years with his parents to Missouri, where he resided until 1861. At the breaking out of the Civil War he joined Price’s...Read More
John and Solomon Taylor, composing the term of Taylor Bros., who operate the Prairie City Roller Mills, are natives of that grand old commonwealth Ohio. The older brother, John, became a resident of the county in 1862, and for a number of years was engaged in mining on Canyon creek. In 1881, on the arrival of his brother they became engaged in farming three miles from Prairie City, and today have 640 acres under cultivation, all of it being highly improved. Their home being one of the nicest in the county. In 1891 they bought the mill property which is a complete up-to-date fifty barrel seven boater mill, with the necessary purifiers, scalper, scourer, smutted, etc. They have a fall of 21 feet in their waterpower and operate the year round. It has proven a most beneficial enterprise to the farmers near at hand, who are enabled to obtain a good price for their wheat with the advantage of a short haul, a saving to them of a good many dollars annually. A feature of their trade is a large exchange business with the farmers, exchanging for wheat its manufactured products. Their patronage has grown to such all extent that they have made arrangements to enlarge by adding an 18×30 three-story building. Mr. Sol. Taylor is at present one of the county...Read More
Among the leading business firms of the county, McCallum & Bayley, of John Day, occupy a well deserved position. Established in 1892, they have steadily grown until their reputation is assured not only for the volume of business transacted but for their integrity as well. They cater to both the stockman and miner, and their facilities have enabled them to buy direct from the Eastern manufacturer, the benefit of which is given their customers. They also own and control the John Day Telephone Line, running a distance of thirty-five miles from John Day to Dayville. Mr. F. I. McCallum is a native of California, coming to this county in 1863, and E. J. Bayley is a native of England, coming to the state in 1880, and to the county in 1884. They are both progressive men, and have always given liberally towards any enterprise leading to the advancement of Grant...Read More
The above firm composed of C. W. Brown and F. S. Simpson, although just organized last September has rapidly has rapidly forged to the front. This is largely due no doubt to the fact that both members are very popular, but more so to the liberal treatment they show all patrons. Their line embraces groceries and flour, gent’s furnishings, notions, hats, caps, boots and shoes, in the two latter lines malting a specialty of Buckingham & Hecht’s goods. Both of the members of the firm nice young men of enterprise and good business ability, and we feel safe in stating that they will soon be in the lead in their...Read More
People are always interested in men, especially in successful men. This is the case with “Ike” Guker, the discoverer of the celebrated “Great Northern” mine in Grant County. He is a miner of considerable experience, having gained it in Colorado, Idaho and Oregon. March 28th, 1800, he began in this county, and just six months later he discovered his present property, which bids fair to make him famous. It is a placer property, although he has since located three permanent quartz ledges. His daily returns amount to $220,000 on an...Read More
Henry L. Valade, proprietor of the City Hotel of Canyon City, has had a number of years of experience in his chosen calling, namely, with the Norton House, of Ellensburg, Washington, and the Rainier Grand and Arlington hotels of Seattle, since taking charge of his present property he has made a number of desirable improvements, having added a first-class bar, over which is dispensed high grade wines and liquors, making a specialty of case goods. His wife, formerly Mrs, Ella Rau, of this county, has personal charge of the culinary department which is sufficient guarantee of the service rendered their many...Read More
The present efficient and courteous County Clerk is a native Oregonian. He received his education at Monmouth, having moved to Yamhill County, with his parents at an early age. In 1886 he moved to Grant County, locating on the middle folk of the John Day River, near Warm Springs, taking up a homestead and following stock rising. In 1892 he was appointed deputy sheriff, and in 1894 receiving the nomination for County Clerk from the Republican party, of which party he is a life long member, and was elected. As a public official, he proved eminently successful, due to his affability and knowledge of clerical duties. At the expiration of his term he was re-elected. In 1878 he married Miss Bessie Hutchcroft of Yamhill County, and has six...Read More
In journeying through life we occasionally run across some young man who in business circles has fairly distanced competition, endowed with greater advantages perhaps, but still lacking some qualification possessed by himself. This qualification may be embraced in a single word ambition. The young man whose name heads this sketch is endowed with ambition, coupled with industry, integrity, and holiness sagacity. Locating at Canyon City in 1889, for a period of two years he followed watch making, which he had leaned in the old country. He then began merchandising in a small way, and by studying the wants of the people and by fair and liberal treatment of his customers has from time to time been compelled to add to his stock, until today he probably carries the largest in the county. The illustration of his store accompanying this article hardly does justice to it as he carries his general stock in two warehouses, one 20×40 and the other 35×30, besides using a large fireproof...Read More
Mr. Sels was born in 1837, in Merschede, Westphalia, Germany, which place he left while yet a youth and came to America. December 31, 1854, he arrived in California, and July 1, 1862, reached Canyon City, where he still lives and enjoys the fruits of a life of honorable business activity. In the summer of 1802 he mined at Prairie diggings, about four miles northeast of Canyon City, and in the spring of 1803 opened a general merchandise store in Canyon City in partnership with Mr. E. J. Stemme, under the name of Sels & Stemme. In the fall of 1866 he sold his interest to his brother, Henry R. Sels, July 28, 1870, he purchased the Canyon City brewery from John H. Stahl, which was two weeks later destroyed by the great fire of August 12th. He at once rebuilt, erecting fireproof buildings cellars and warehouse He is very heavily interested in Grant County, and intends ranking its home there for an indefinite time, perhaps to the end of his days. Mr. Sels has been prominent in the political councils of the Republican party of Grant County, and has held many important and honorable positions. From 1864 to 1866 he acted as justice of the peace, when he was appointed postmaster. This position he soon resigned to accept the office of County Treasurer, to which he was chosen...Read More
The subject of this article relates to D. B. Rinehart and his large orchard in the John Day Valley, Grant County, Oregon. He came to the John Day Valley in 1804, about the time that Grant County was cut off from Wasco. Hon. W. Lair Hill, was appointed County Judge by the governor of the State, while William Luce and E. S. Pernfield were appointed County Commissioners. The above board constituted the first County Court of Grant County. At the first sitting of the court, D. B. Rinehart was appointed county superintendent of public schools until the next general election. He subsequently was elected two different terms to the same office. Although Grunt County at that time included what is now known as Harney County, yet the county was sparsely settled, excepting the John Day Valley. It was estimated that at that time about 3,000 souls, principally miners, brought hither by the rich discoveries of gold along her mountain streams and auriferous gulches, were inhabiting the John Day Valley and adjacent to Canyon City, yet few persons had conceived the idea of entering extensively into fruit growing, not knowing at that time that the climate and soil were adapted to the successful cultivation of apples, pears, plums, cherries, prunes and other fruits. About the year 1868 Mr. Rinehart, in connection with N. W. Tesk, his partner in business at...Read More
- Alabama Genealogy
- Alaska Genealogy
- Arizona Genealogy
- Arkansas Genealogy
- California Genealogy
- Colorado Genealogy
- Connecticut Genealogy
- Delaware Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy
- Hawaii Genealogy
- Idaho Genealogy
- Illinois Genealogy
- Indiana Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy
- Kansas Genealogy
- Kentucky Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy
- Maine Genealogy
- Maryland Genealogy
- Massachusetts Genealogy
- Michigan Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy
- Missouri Genealogy
- Montana Genealogy
- Nebraska Genealogy
- Nevada Genealogy
- New Hampshire Genealogy
- New Jersey Genealogy
- New Mexico Genealogy
- New York Genealogy
- North Carolina Genealogy
- North Dakota Genealogy
- Ohio Genealogy
- Oklahoma Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy
- Pennsylvania Genealogy
- Rhode Island Genealogy
- South Carolina Genealogy
- South Dakota Genealogy
- Tennessee Genealogy
- Texas Genealogy
- Utah Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy
- Virginia Genealogy
- Washington Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy
- Wyoming Genealogy
Free Genealogy Archives
- History and Genealogy of Blue Hill, MaineAugust 29, 2016From the record of the town’s annual meeting held “March 6, 1769”, we learn that it was “Voted that Joseph Wood, Jonathan ...
- 1776-1805 Dutchess County, New York Marriage RecordsAugust 11, 2016These marriage records were transcribed by Lester Card and compiled in 1949. Mr. Card’s introduction to this transcription reads: “These ...
- The Stillwater Messenger, 1861-1874April 27, 2016In the valedictory of A. J. Van Vorhes, written when he sold the Stillwater Messenger plant to Willard S. Whitmore, I find it stated that the first ...
- Yearbooks of the Bayport-Blue Point High School, 1945-2011April 20, 2016The Bayport-Blue Point Public Library has digitized 65 years of yearbooks from the Bayport-Blue Point High School. The books have been scanned and ...
- Monroe County, New York Cemetery RecordsApril 8, 2016The extensive online listings for Monroe County, New York cemetery records should provide researchers with a clear picture of what is still ...
- Calloway County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- Boone County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- A Genealogy of Isaac Elbert BrushSeptember 22, 2015Two publications of, one typescript, and one handwritten manuscript for the Brush genealogy entitled, A Concise Genealogy of Isaac Elbert Brush and ...
- Progressive Men of Western ColoradoJune 10, 2015This manuscript in it’s basic form is a volume of 948 biographies of prominent men and women, all leading citizens of Western Colorado. Western ...
- Fort Smith (Westark) Junior College Yearbooks 1929-2003March 27, 2015The Boreham Library at the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith, enabled 72 copies of the university yearbooks to be digitized and made freely ...