The following 22 biographies were extracted from the History of the State of Kansas, 1883 and pertain specifically to Ford County. To view the entire history of Ford County, Kansas visit Ford County, Kansas History and Genealogy Ford County is the southwestern most organized county of Kansas, embracing Townships 25, 26, 27, 28 and 29 of Ranges 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26, being thirty miles from north to south and thirty-six miles from east to west, possessing an area of 1,080 square miles. The country is comparatively level, 20 per cent of the land, being bottom-land, which along the Arkansas has an average width of fifteen miles; the upland is 80 per cent, and but a small portion of it is bluffly. Good building stone is found in the county contiguous to Fort Dodge, and near Spearville is found good sand and a good quality of limestone. The county is well watered, the Arkansas River flowing forty miles through the county, and other smaller streams coursing through it in various directions. The most important of these are Mulberry, Five-Mile, Kiowa, Spring and Crooked creeks. Timber is very scanty; what there is, is mostly cottonwood and box elder. These kinds are mostly grown on the timber claims. The county was named for Col. James H. Ford, of the Second Colorado Cavalry. Anthony, A. J. Beamer, P. W. Cox,...Read More
Collection: Ford County Cutlers History of Kansas 1883
B. A. Jones, Register of Deeds and clerk in hardware house of F. C. Zimmerman. He came to Kansas in 1878 and prospected for some time, after which he began clerking for the above house. Born in Clark County, Ohio, in 1842, and was raised in that county. Enlisted in July 1861, in Company I, Forty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, participating in all the battles of his command, and was wounded in a skirmish at Cumberland Ford, Ky. in May 1863. Was mustered out of service in August 1865. He soon afterward began clerking in general merchandising. Was married in 1868, to Miss Mary E. Nye, of his native place. They have two children Harold N. And Clara M. Mr. Jones is a member of the first three branches of the Masonic order. Was elected Register of Deeds in the fall of...Read More
N. B. Klaine, editor of the Dodge City Times. The paper was established May 20, 1876. He became editor and proprietor in November 1877. The above newspaper now has a circulation of 600, and is Republican in politics. Mr. Klaine first came to Dodge City in November, 1877, and engaged as a Journalist. He took charge of the Dodge City post office by appointment January 23, 1883. He was born in Bordentown, N. J., and February 5, 1839. He came with his parents to Rock Island, Ill., in 1851, where he lived until 1859; thence to St. Louis, Mo. He enlisted in August 1862, in Company K, Tenth Missouri Cavalry. Was commissioned Second Lieutenant. Commanded his company one year. He participated in all the battles of his command and was mustered out in May 1864. He went to Warrensburg, Mo., in 1865, and began the publication of the Warrensburg Standard, which he continued for ten years. He was City Clerk of the latter place for a year. He represented Johnson County in the Legislature of that State in 1869-1870. He served as City Councilman of the latter city and was Supervisor of Registration of Johnson County, Kan., in 1866. Served as Probate Judge of Ford County, Kan., in 1879-80; City Treasurer of Dodge City in 1882, and is now Constable, City Treasurer and School Director. He was married in...Read More
Dr. T. L. McCarty, physician and surgeon (allopathic school) and dealer in a general stock of drugs and medicines, carries a stock of $3,000. He came to Dodge City, Kan., in November 1872, and opened a medical office. He opened the drug trade in 1877. He was born in Tuscola, Ill., 1848, and educated in his native State. He graduated from the Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, Pa., in the class of 1870. Began the practice of his profession at St. Louis, MO., where he continued until he came to Kansas. Was married in 1871, to Miss S. L. Artt, of Cynthiana, Ky. They have one son-Claude E. The doctor is a member of the Masonic order, including K. T., I. O. O. F. and K. Of P. He has served as County Physician for Ford County a number of years, and Superintendent of Public Instruction six years, and has been surgeon for the A. T. & S. F. R. R. for the past six...Read More
Oliver March & Co., proprietors of the Dodge City Steam Flouring Mills. These mills were erected in the fall of 1879. Size 60×90 feet, three stories and basement, built of wood at a cost of $20,000. Capacity is 15,000 pounds of flour in twenty-four hours. They employ four men. Oliver Marsh and son became proprietors in 1882. Mr. Marsh first came to Central City, Anderson Co., Kan., with his family in 1857, built a hotel and opened a general store. In 1859 he became a licensed Indian Trader with J. A. Coffey, at Humboldt, Kan., and remained until 1864, when they moved to Kansas City, Mo., and embarked in the wholesale grocery trade three years. He then went to Chetopa, Labette Co., and engaged in merchandising and the stock business for eleven years. He then came to Dodge City and engaged in the mercantile milling business. He was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, October 21, 1826; lived there with his parents for twelve years and came with them to Fort Madison, Iowa, where he lived until twenty-one-years old, when he came to Kansas. He was married in 1852 to Miss Clarissa A. Smiley, of Urbania, Ohio. They have four children-Grace A., Arthur E., Stephen and Mark. Mrs. Marsh is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Dodge City. Mr. Marsh is a member of Blue Lodge,...Read More
H. L. Sitler, came to Dodge City, Kans., in 1868, and engaged in freighting for the United States government, and contracting, until 1876. He then engaged in the stock business, and continued until 1882. He is one of the stockholders of the Dodge City Bank. He has since the spring of 1882, retired from business. He was born in Crawford County, Pa., August 24, 1827, and lived in that county until 1865. He enlisted in the fall of 1861, to Company I, Second Pennsylvania Cavalry, and participated in all the battles of his command, and was made a prisoner at the battle of St. Mary’s Church, in a cavalry charge, and was confined at Andersonville, Ga., Libby, Va. and Millen, Ga., five months and twenty days. He was mustered out March 2, 1865. He then engaged in agricultural pursuits in Solomon Valley, Saline Co., Kan., until 1868. The country was a complete wild prairie, and not a railroad was then in operation in the State of Kansas; farming was therefore a slow way of making a fortune, and he turned his attention to hunting buffalo and other wild game for some time. He was married in 1875, to Miss Emma Harper of Crawford County, Pa. The Dodge City Town Company was formed in 1872, and he owned the ground where it now stands. He helped to organize the town...Read More
W. J. Spencer, clerk in dry goods house of Wright, Beverly & Co. He serves as shipping and receiving clerk. He came to Kansas in 1863 as a private of Company G, Second Colorado Cavalry and assisted to establish Fort Dodge. He enlisted in July, 1862, in Company I, Second Colorado Cavalry, and served one year in Colorado. He participated in the battle against Rebel Gen. Price, and did much service on the frontier. Was mustered out in June 1865. He then engaged in freighting for the government, and clerked at Fort Larned, Kan, until 1870. He then clerked in a sutler store at Fort Dodge until 1873. He then came with the first settlement to Dodge City, where he has since been identified in the mercantile business. He was at the big Indian treaty at Medicine Lodge, Kan., in 1867. Was born in Ireland in 1840, and came with his parents to America in 1843. They settled in Quebec, Canada, where he lived until 1856. The family then moved into the states. Was married in 1871, to Miss C. M. Kelley, a native of Ireland. They have six children – Addie, William J., Arthur, Centennial, Emma and...Read More
A. J. Anthony, stock-raiser, first came to Lawrence in 1857, and engaged in staging until 1863; he then became conductor and express messenger on the Southern Overland Stage Line from Kansas City, Mo., to Santa Fe, N. M., until August, 1867. He then located at a ranch twenty miles west of Dodge City, where he kept a few cattle and a provision store. A year thence he moved to Fort Dodge and engaged in the sutler business until 1874, when he located on a stock-ranch three-fourths of a mile west of where Dodge City now stands, where he has been engaged in the livestock business. He has now about 500 head of cattle. He was born in Goochland County, East Virginia, and July 23, 1830, where he lived two years; then moved to Rockingham County, Central Virginia, where he lived twenty-one years, and then went to Ohio and followed agricultural pursuits until he came to Kansas, which was in 1857. He was married in 1872 to Mrs. Calvina Chambliss (Hagaman), of St. Louis, a native of Louisiana. They have had five children, of who three is dead William W. And Herman Ray is living. He assisted in organizing Ford County and Dodge City, and was the first County Treasurer, and has served three terms as County Commissioner of Ford County,...Read More
Henry Sturm, wholesale and retail dealer in all kinds of liquors. He also has a soda factory, where he manufactures all kinds of soda and mineral water and Champagne cider. The building cost $2000 and is 20×30 feet. He employs four men. He has a warehouse 20×75 foot, where he keeps a stock of Joseph Schlitz Milwaukee Lager Beer. His stock of liquors invoice at $3,000. He also keeps a billiard and saloon parlor. He has two icehouses, respectively 20×30 feet and 30×50 feet, and has 400 tons of ice stored to supply the city. He first came to Junction City, Kan., in government employ, in 1876, and continued some time in that capacity; thence to dodge. He was born in Germany, 1837, and came to America in 1851. He was married in 1878 to Miss Ragena Bug of Cincinnati, Ohio. They have two children, Louisa C. and Bertha. He has been Township Treasurer two terms, and is a member of the I. O. O....Read More
P. W. Beamer, general blacksmith, wagon and plow maker, was born March 12, 1846, in Jackson, Ohio; was raised in Adams and Pike counties, Ill.; served apprenticeship at the above trade in 1858-1859 to fall of 1860. Enlisted in the spring of 1861 in Company K, Sixteenth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and participated in all the battles of his command, which was under Generals Pope, Rosecranz and Grant. Re-enlisted as a veteran in December, 1863, and participated in the campaigns under Sherman until the war closed; was discharged as First Sergeant at Springfield, Ill, July 1865. Was married to Miss E. A. Keller, of Quincy, Ill., and has three children, viz., George W. A., Aaron, E. F., and Julia. Went to Colorado in the spring of 1869, and engaged in mining for several years; then worked at his trade. Returned to Illinois, and was engaged in plow making until the fall of 1878. Came to Kansas, engaged in agricultural and stock pursuits; and came to Dodge in 1879, and worked at his trade until September, 1882, when he engaged in business as above. Is a member of the Masonic fraternity as high as Knights Templar, also as a P. G. in the I. O. O. F. and Past Chancellor of the order of Knights of Pythias, and a member of the order of Good Templars and E. A. Union...Read More
M. W. Sutton, attorney at law, of the firm of Sutton & Wenie. Mr. Sutton first came to Wellington, Sumner Co., Kan., in May, 1872, and practiced law until December of same year, when he went to Medicine Lodge, Barber County, and continued his profession until June 1,1876, thence located permanently in Dodge City, where he has since practiced law. He was County Attorney for Barber County two years and resigned; County Attorney for Ford County from November 1, 1876 until March 1882. He was born in Orange County, N. Y., 1848, and was raised in Tompkins County, living there until November 22, 1867, when he went to Johnson County, Mo., and followed agricultural pursuits with parents and attending school. Also began reading law about that time and was admitted to bar of practice March 1872, at Warrensburg, Johnson Co., Mo. He enlisted February 12, 1863, Company B, Sixth Regiment New York Heavy Artillery, and participated in all the battles of his command, beginning at Gettysburg and ending at the surrender of Robert E. Lee. He was mustered out August 24, 1865. He was married in 1879 to Miss Florence E. Clemons, of Genesee County, N. Y. They have one son, Stewart C. Mr. Sutton is a member of Blue Lodge, A. F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F. of Kansas City,...Read More
George B. Cox first came to Larned, Kansas, in 1872 and opened a hotel and ran the same until he came to Dodge City and began the erection of The Dodge House in the fall and winter of the same year. This hotel is 30×125 feet deep, and contains thirty-eight rooms. It was erected and furnished at a cost of $11,452, and opened to the public January 18, 1873. It was run by the firm of Cox & Boyd until January 10, 1883, when Mr. Cox bought the whole interest. He was born in Butts County, Ga., September 10, 1836, and lived in that State until the Rebellion broke out, when he became a member of the Fourth Georgia Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. After army life he drifted about in various places until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1871 to Miss Annie H. Bennett, of Trenton, N. J. They have one daughter, Clara Bell. He is a member of the Farmers’ and Mechanics’ Insurance Company of St. Louis, Mo., and E. A. Union of Dodge City. He has served as Probate Judge of Ford County, and Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners; has been a member of the City Council, at present a member of the School...Read More
Frederick T. M. Wenie, of the firm of Sutton & Wenie, attorneys-at-law. He is also engaged in the insurance, real estate and collection business. He first came to Dodge City, Kansas, in 1879, and clerked in the Quartermaster’s store at Fort Dodge until April 1, 1880, when he came to Dodge City and entered the law office of M. W. Sutton as a law student, and was admitted to the bar of practice at the June term of court in 1882. He was appointed City Attorney of Dodge City in April 1883. He was born in Oneida County, N. Y., in 1859 and was raised in his native county. His father, Thomas M. Wenie, was First Lieutenant in the regular army, and employed his son as a clerk for him four of five...Read More
M. R. Draper, manager of the Dodge City branch of the York, Parker & Draper Mercantile Company. The company was incorporated under the laws of Missouri in 1881, with a paid-up capital of $150,000. Now have a surplus of $150,000. They deal in general merchandise and livestock, and carry a general average stock of merchandise of $25,000 in Dodge City, Kansas, and opened trade in the latter city in 1881. They also have a branch house at Caldwell, Sumner County, Kansas. Their rooms are 25 feet wide by 110 feet deep, and a warehouse 25 x 75 feet. They have a stock ranch in the Pan Handle of Texas, where they keep at present 15,000 head of cattle on a range 12×20 miles. They employ twenty-five men. F. B. York is President; M. R. Draper, Vice-President; D. T. Parker, Secretary and Treasurer. M. R. Draper, manager of the Dodge City House, came to the latter city in 1876. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, February 23, 1850, and was raised in his native State. He came to Kansas in 1865, located near Leavenworth. He engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1870. He then went into the employ of Parker, York & Co., at Parker, Montgomery County, Kansas, and continued until 1873; thence went to St. Louis, Mo., and there engaged with the United States Express Company and continued until he...Read More
Wright, Beverly & Co., dealers in a general stock of merchandise and men’s outfitting goods, opened business in 1877. They employ eight clerks and carry a general stock of $40,000. Individual names of the firm are R. M. Wright and H. M. Beverly. H. M. Beverly came to Kansas in 1870 and engaged in the cattle business at Abilene, afterward at Ellsworth, Great Bend, and finally Dodge City. He has followed the Texas cattle trade for a number of years. He was born in King George County, Va., in 1826, and was raised in Henderson, Ky. He enlisted with Texas troops in Confederate State service, was Second Lieutenant of his company, and served some time in that capacity. He was married in 1850 to Miss Fannie C. Skiles, a native of Kentucky. They have seven children living: E. Bell, William, Harry M., Ellen H., (married to Lieutenant F. D. Sharp, USA), James R. Eva L., and C. May; lost one, Fannie B., who was married to John Frazer, of Kansas City, who is also...Read More
- Alabama Genealogy
- Alaska Genealogy
- Arizona Genealogy
- Arkansas Genealogy
- California Genealogy
- Colorado Genealogy
- Connecticut Genealogy
- Delaware Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy
- Hawaii Genealogy
- Idaho Genealogy
- Illinois Genealogy
- Indiana Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy
- Kansas Genealogy
- Kentucky Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy
- Maine Genealogy
- Maryland Genealogy
- Massachusetts Genealogy
- Michigan Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy
- Missouri Genealogy
- Montana Genealogy
- Nebraska Genealogy
- Nevada Genealogy
- New Hampshire Genealogy
- New Jersey Genealogy
- New Mexico Genealogy
- New York Genealogy
- North Carolina Genealogy
- North Dakota Genealogy
- Ohio Genealogy
- Oklahoma Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy
- Pennsylvania Genealogy
- Rhode Island Genealogy
- South Carolina Genealogy
- South Dakota Genealogy
- Tennessee Genealogy
- Texas Genealogy
- Utah Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy
- Virginia Genealogy
- Washington Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy
- Wyoming Genealogy
Free Genealogy Archives
- History and Genealogy of Blue Hill, MaineAugust 29, 2016From the record of the town’s annual meeting held “March 6, 1769”, we learn that it was “Voted that Joseph Wood, Jonathan ...
- 1776-1805 Dutchess County, New York Marriage RecordsAugust 11, 2016These marriage records were transcribed by Lester Card and compiled in 1949. Mr. Card’s introduction to this transcription reads: “These ...
- The Stillwater Messenger, 1861-1874April 27, 2016In the valedictory of A. J. Van Vorhes, written when he sold the Stillwater Messenger plant to Willard S. Whitmore, I find it stated that the first ...
- Yearbooks of the Bayport-Blue Point High School, 1945-2011April 20, 2016The Bayport-Blue Point Public Library has digitized 65 years of yearbooks from the Bayport-Blue Point High School. The books have been scanned and ...
- Monroe County, New York Cemetery RecordsApril 8, 2016The extensive online listings for Monroe County, New York cemetery records should provide researchers with a clear picture of what is still ...
- Calloway County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- Boone County Missouri High School YearbooksApril 6, 2016The Daniel Boone Regional Library has digitized almost 100 years of yearbooks from community schools. The books have been scanned and uploaded in ...
- A Genealogy of Isaac Elbert BrushSeptember 22, 2015Two publications of, one typescript, and one handwritten manuscript for the Brush genealogy entitled, A Concise Genealogy of Isaac Elbert Brush and ...
- Progressive Men of Western ColoradoJune 10, 2015This manuscript in it’s basic form is a volume of 948 biographies of prominent men and women, all leading citizens of Western Colorado. Western ...
- Fort Smith (Westark) Junior College Yearbooks 1929-2003March 27, 2015The Boreham Library at the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith, enabled 72 copies of the university yearbooks to be digitized and made freely ...