The subject of this sketch was born in Preston, Conn., in 1837, is a son of Lodowick Stanton, and the great-great-grandson of General Thomas Stanton, who came from England and settled in Stonington, Conn. His great-grandfather, John Stanton (known as Warrior Stanton), served in the French and Indian war and also fought in the revolutionary war, coming from battle with eighteen bullet holes shot through his coat. The mother of Avery A. Stanton was a daughter of Deacon John Stanton, who was a son f Joshua Stanton, whose father Washington also came from England. His brothers are Captain John L. (who fell at the siege of Port Hudson), Alburtus S. and Reverend William E.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
In 1848, Mr. Stanton and his mother removed to Voluntown, Conn., his father having died one year previous. He received his education at the schools of Voluntown, East Greenwich, R. I., and at the Connecticut Literary Institution, of Suffield, Conn. He taught school about eight years in Eastern Connecticut and Rhode Island, and in 1862 settled in the town of Sterling, Conn., where he has since resided, engaged in farming and the lumber business. In 1864 he was elected one of the school visitors of Sterling, which position he held for twenty-four years. In 1873 he was elected first selectman, and has held other important town offices, being town agent and auditor for a number of years. In 1874 he represented the town of Sterling in the state legislature. In 1884 he was appointed by the governor of the state county commissioner to fill an unexpired term, and was chosen by the legislature of 1884 to the same office for a term of three years. He still holds this position, having been reappointed for a second term of four years.
Mr. Stanton is married to Laura, daughter of Benjamin Gallup, of Voluntown, and has five sons-Walter A., John B., Benjamin G., William E. and Albert H.-and three daughters-Nettie E., Ella C. and Lottie E. Mr. Stanton belongs to a family that is able to trace 6,000 relatives.