Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Among the middle aged men reared in Chatham, a witness of its growth, and long an official of the town, is John Tissiman, who was born in Mount Vernon, Knox county, Ohio, August 9, 1834, and came with his parents, Joseph and Edith (Teller) Tissiman, to. Chatham in 1837. Both parents were from Yorkshire, England. Joseph Tissiman was in the mercantile and brewing business here until his death in 1846. He left his wife and three children in moderate circumstances, the widow died about ten years after her husband. John was educated in the common school at Chatham; was an assistant teacher a short time when sixteen years of age; and then clerk in the store of James Burns, general merchant; and in 1855, when he arrived at his majority, engaged in the mercantile trade in connection with Col. A. B. Baxter. Five or six years later Mr. Tissiman discontinued trading, not being successful in that line, and for a few years was. employed by wholesale houses in winding up bankrupt estates, spending one season, during this period, at St. Mary’s.
In 1864 Mr. Tissiman was appointed town clerk, and that office he still holds. Previous to this appointment he had been in the town council one term. He is a practical business man, and perfectly reliable, having always maintained an excellent character for integrity.
He is Captain of what is known as the reserve militia of the town of Chatham, having been promoted from time to time till appointed Captain in March, 1869.
He seems to ignore all political affiliation, entirely independent of party alliances. Religiously his connection is with the Church of England, and, so far as we can learn, he has lived a blameless life.
He has always taken most interest in agricultural and horticultural matters, and is secretary of the West Kent Agricultural Society, and secretary and treasurer of the Chatham Horticultural Society.
The wife of Mr. Tissiman was Mary H. Andrews, daughter of Thomas Andrews of Chatham, their marriage being dated December 17, 1866.