John Flesher, late member of the Ontario Legislature, and one of the leading business men of Orangeville, is descended from an. old Yorkshire family, and was born in Driffield, that county, June 8, 1833. His father, the Rev. John Flesher, of Forestmoore House, near Knaresbro, was for some years a Methodist minister, a man of uncommon ability, being a vigorous writer and eloquent speaker.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Young Flesher was educated in a Collegiate Institute at Ramsgate, and came to Upper Canada in 1847 with his elder brother, Wm. Kingston Flesher, who, a few years ago, represented East Grey in the House of Commons. After spending two or three years with this brother, he commenced mercantile pursuits, first in Bolton, Albion, and later with Walker and Sons, Toronto; after which he entered business for himself in the County of Grey. One year later he purchased his brothers mill property in Adjala, and for ten years was engaged in the manufacture of flour and lumber. In 1868 Mr. Flesher settled in Orangeville, and again engaged in mercantile pursuits. A few years ago he sold out that business, and is now engaged in brokerage and conveyencing.
While a resident of Adjala, Mr. Flesher served as a School Trustee for some years; since removing to Orangeville has been in the Council for four or five years, and in January, 1875, was elected to the Local Assembly to represent the Riding of Cardwell, serving his full term, and being defeated for reelection by a very small majority.
Mr. Flesher is a Conservative, a conscientious and earnest advocate of the principles of that party, and controlling its full vote.
He is a Master Mason; a Congregationalist in his religious connection, and a man of excellent standing in society.
In 1855, he married the only daughter of Rev. Wm. Towler, of New York City. They have had twelve children, nine of whom are living.