Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Horatio Charles Burritt, son of Walter H. Burritt, M. D., and Maria nee Schofield, was born at Smith’s Falls, County of Lanark, Ontario, September 2, 1840. His grandfather, Daniel Burritt, was the first settler at Burritt’s Rapids on the Rideau river, the place being, named from him. He was a United Empire Loyalist, born in Connecticut, and was the second settler on the river mentioned above. He was a magistrate and Colonel of Militia. The family are remotely related to Elihu Burritt, the “learned blacksmith,” who died in 1879. Dr. Walter H. Burritt was born in September, 1809, in Grenville, now Carleton County, Ontario; received his medical education at Fairfield, N. Y., graduating in 1835, and practiced for thirty-five years at Smith’s Falls, removing to Peterborough in 1870. On locating he intended to retire from professional business, but found himself uncomfortable in having nothing to do, and is doing just enough to furnish healthy exercise.
Our subject was educated at Smith’s Falls Grammar School, Bishop’s College, Lennoxville, Province of Quebec, and McGill University, Montreal, receiving the degree of M.D.C.M., May 3, 1863.
Dr. Burritt practiced a few months with his father at Smith’s Falls; spent the winter of 1863-64 as Acting Assistant Surgeon at Lincoln Hospital, Washington, D. C.; in 1865 located at Morrisburg, County of Dundas, Ontario; practiced there until 1868, and then settled in Peterborough though his house, “St. Leonard’s,” is just across the Otonabee river in Ashburnham, his business office and post office are in Peterborough. When he located here the town was seemingly well supplied with men in his profession, but he soon built up a lucrative practice, and has a business second in extent to no surgeon in the place. He is kind and attentive, as well as expert; keeps well posted in his profession, and is a growing man.
While in Morrisburg, Dr. Durritt was Surgeon to the Prescott Brigade of Garrison Artillery, and Coroner of Dundas; has had various positions tendered to him here, but has usually succeeded in keeping out of office, it being a hindrance to his professional business.
He is a member of the St. Luke the Evangelist’s Episcopal Church, Ashburnham; has an honorable standing among Christian people, and has been a delegate to the Synod a dozen years or more.
The wife of Dr. Burritt was Aaria H. Rogers, daughter of the late James G. Rogers of Gmifton, County of Northumberland married October 26, 1864. They have five children living; and have lost two.