The subject of this biographical notice, Judge of the County of Grey, and Surrogate Judge of the Maritime Courts, is a grandson of Lieutenant-Colonel Donald Macpherson, who had command of the Fort at Kingston at the commencement of the war of 1812, and was removed to Quebec, where he remained until the close of the war in 1814. Donald Macpherson was the son of Evan Macpherson, of Cluny, Chief of the Clan Macpherson, who joined Prince Charles with his Clan in 1745. Henry is a son of Lowther P. Macpherson, barrister, who was born in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, when. his father was on his way to Canada with his regiment. Our subject was born at Picton, County of Prince Edward, August 17, 1832. The maiden name of his mother was Eliza I. L. McLean, daughter of Lieut. Colonel Allan McLean of Kingston, and who was for sixteen years Speaker of the old Canadian Assembly.
Judge Macpherson was educated in the Grammar School of Kingston and Queen’s College, being graduated from the latter Institute, Bachelor of Arts, in 1851. He read law with Thomas Kirkpatrick, Q.C., of the same city; was admitted as an Attorney at Easter term in 1854, and called to the Bar at Hilary term 1855. He opened an office at Owen Sound in March of that year, and continued in the practice of his profession until he was placed on the Bench of the county in January, 186 5. Prior to this date he had acted as Crown Counsel at Assizes several times. His appointment to the office of Surrogate Judge of the Maritime Court, was made in March, 1879.
When at the Bar Judge Macpherson was regarded as a good consulting lawyer, and being a good speaker, very favorably impressed a jury. He has a good supply of common sense as well as legal knowledge; is clear headed and safe as a judge, and his instructions to a jury are marked with plainness, candor and impartiality. He is much respected by the Bar.
Judge Macpherson has long been an active Free Mason, is Past Senior Grand Warden of the Grand Lodge of Canada; Past First Principal of the Chapter of Owen Sound, and also at Collingwood; now Grand 3rd Principal J. of Grand Chapter of Canada; was Vice-President of the Board of General Purposes for several years; and is a representative of the Grand Orient of Uruguay, and of the State of Maryland near the Grand Lodge of Canada, and of the State of California near the Grand Chapter of Canada.
The Judge has taken much interest in local matters, and has been identified officially with a great many organizations and enterprises. He has been President of the Mechanics’ Institute, the North Riding of Grey Agricultural Society, and the Owen Sound Horticultural Society; has been Vice-President of the Fruit Growers’ Association of Ontario, and is President of the local Curling Club, and has been President of the Cricket Club and other local societies. The Judge is a member of the English Church, and maintains a character of the highest integrity.
His wife was Eliza M. McLean, daughter of Allan N. McLean of Toronto, and grand daughter of John McLean, once Sheriff of Kingston. They were married in May 1875, and have one child.