Biography of Col Darby Bergin, M. D., M. P.
Darby Bergin, son of William Bergin, Civil Engineer, was born in Toronto, Ontario, September 7, 1826. His father, who was a native of King’s County, Ireland, came to Canada in 1820, and was a merchant for some time in the city where the son was born. His mother, before her marriage, was Miss Mary Flanagan, daughter of John Flanagan of Charlottenburg, County of Glengarry, Ontario.
The subject of this notice received his literary education at the Upper Canada College, Toronto; graduated M.D. at the university of McGill College, Montreal, in 1847, and has since been practicing at Cornwall, having an extensive ride and a remunerative business. He was for some time one of the Examiners in the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons, and recognized as the head of his profession in the United Counties. The doctor was a Trustee of the Cornwall High School, a member of the Town Council, and for many years physician to the Counties Goal, a position which he resigned upon entering Parliament.
When the Trent affair occurred in 1861, he raised a company with great promptness and had command of it; was made a Major in 1866, and has since been promoted to the rank of Colonel of the 59th Stormont and Glengarry battalion of volunteer infantry.
Dr. Bergin was first returned to parliament for his present seat, by acclamation, in Sept., 1878. In politics he is a Liberal-Conservative; in religion a Roman Catholic.
He and his younger brother, John Bergin, born July 15, 1829, a barrister at Cornwall, and four years Master in Chancery, own the ” Stormont Stock Farm,” one mile east of the Cornwall station on the Grand Trunk Railway. This farm is devoted mainly to the breeding and training of roadsters and trotters, an enterprise started about five years ago. They commenced by purchasing “Ringwood,” sired by ” Edward Everett,” the dam being by ” Long Island Black Hawk,” a golden chestnut 151 hands high, weighing 1,170 pounds; and not long after, “Midway,” a son of “Almont,” brother in blood to “Alley West” and “Piedmont.”