William Studabecker was born in Allen County, Indiana, in 1851; he is the son of David and Elizabeth (Wilt) Studabecker. His father was a native of Pennsylvania and his mother of Maine. When Mr. Studabecker was two years of age his father moved the family to Van Wert County, Ohio, and there engaged in farming until his death in 1858.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The subject of this sketch was reared to the labor attending a life upon a farm, and after the age of ten years was deprived of any schooling facilities; at twenty years of age he learned the shoemaker’s trade and followed that calling until 1873. In that year he came to California and located at Galt, Sacramento County. Here Mr. Studabecker worked at his trade and other occupations until 1876, and then came to San Luis Obispo, where he remained until 1881, and then located at Santa Barbara, where he was employed by Emerson & Co., in their boot and shoe store until 1883, when he came to San Bernardino County. Shortly after his arrival in the county he settled in Riverside, and in partnership with his brother, John A. Studabecker, commenced the publication of the Valley Echo. They sold out this journal in April, 1884, and Mr. Studabecker then went to Los Angeles and established the Commercial Printing House, which he conducted until sickness compelled him to suspend his business labors.
In May 1885 he sold out his business and returned to Riverside, and after a partial recovery of his health again entered the newspaper business, in connection with his old paper, the Valley Echo, with which he was associated until its sale in January 1886. October 13, 1886, Mr. Studabecker took charge of the publication of the Daily Enterprise, and conducted the same until January, 1887, when he purchased the paper and printing office and has since conducted its publication as the sole proprietor.
Mr. Studabecker is a self-educated and self-made man; one who has acquired a practical knowledge that has enabled him to engage in pursuits of life above that of his trade. He belongs to the Democratic Party, but is conservative and liberal in his views. He is a member of Chorro Lodge, No. 168, I. O. O. F., of San Luis Obispo. February 1888, he married Miss Claudina L. Wood, daughter of Thomas J. Wood (a sketch of whom appears in this volume). They have but one child, Hale A.