Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Prof. C. N. Andrews, of Redlands, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, in 1852. His father, Robert Andrews, crossed the plains to California with an ox team in 1857. They were on the plains at the time of the Mountain Meadow massacre, and were five months and ten days from Boonville to Sacramento. He purchased a farm in Sonoma County, in 1859, and is still living on it. He had a family of four sons and one daughter.
The subject of this sketch received his early training in the common schools of Sonoma County, is a graduate of several prominent institutions of learning and the holder of four diplomas. He taught school in Sonoma County for seven years. He was principal of the Santa Ana schools for a period of three years; instructor in Heald’s Business College two years, and principal of the Riverside schools three years. Then he was superintendent of the schools in San Diego one year, when, his health failing, he resigned. He was president of the board of education at San Diego. He came to Redlands in 1877 and engaged in the lumber and carriage business with his brother, Howard, under the firm name of Andrews Brothers. At the present time he is a member of the board of education of San Bernardino County, and a member of the Redlands city council. His residence is on Palm Avenue, where he owns twenty acres of fine orange land. The business house is on the corner of Orange Street and Park Avenue, where they carry a line of carriages and buggies and do a general lumber business. Prof. Andrews was married in Los Angeles in 1883, to Miss Jennie E. Davis, of Petaluma, Sonoma County, California. She was educated in Petaluma and San Francisco, and taught for several years. She was one of the assistant teachers in the Riverside schools when Prof. Andrews was the principal, and was after-ward vice-principal in the San Diego schools.