Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Peter K. Klinefelter. Among the noticeable fine residence property and orange groves of Brockton Square of Riverside is the “Bijou,” owned by Mr. Klinefelter, and is located on the west side of Brockton Avenue, two miles south of the city, in the best improved section of the Riverside colony. He is the owner of twenty acres at that point, the ten acres bordering on the avenue he purchased from Mr. J. A. Simms in 1881. Upon this tract Mr. Klinefelter has his home, consisting of a neat cottage residence, surrounded by a fine growth of ornamental trees, palms and floral productions, forming one of the most comfortable and beautiful California homes to be imagined. His orange grove is seven acres in extent, principally of seedling trees that are eleven years old from the planting. In addition he has a large variety of deciduous fruits for table use, also two and one-half acres of alfalfa; the other ten acres he purchased from William R. Russell; this tract is cultivated to the growing of raisin grapes.
Mr. Klinefelter is also the owner, in partnership with his brother, Samuel K. Klinefelter, of twenty acres of land on Rubidoux Avenue, Brockton Square. Upon this tract there are thirteen acres of orange trees, two-thirds seedlings and balance in budded fruit, two acres of Lisbon lemons, and about five acres of olive trees. The product of his olive orchard is converted into oil arid placed on the market, under the firm name of Klinefelter Brothers; it finds a ready sale at remunerative prices. Mr. Klinefelter is a thorough horticulturist and a practical businessman, who has came a success in his enterprises in Riverside. He is a strong supporter of such enterprises as in his judgment tend to build up the city and develop the resources of the valley. He is a stockholder of the Riverside and Arlington Railway, Riverside Gas and Electric Light companies, Citrus Fair Association, and other companies incorporated for the improvement of Riverside. He is a prominent Mason, being a member of Evergreen Lodge, No. 259, F. & A. M., and Riverside Chapter, No. 67, R. A. M., and Riverside Commandery, No. 28, Knights Templar; also a member of Riverside Post, No. 118, G. A. R. In political matters he is a Republican.
Mr. Klinefelter was born in Richland County, Ohio, in 1842. His parents were Joseph and Elizabeth Klinefelter, who were natives of Pennsylvania. In 1857 his father moved to Kansas, and settled in Boone County, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death in 1858. Mr. Klinefelter was reared as a farmer, and followed that occupation until March 1862. At that time he entered the military service of his country as a private of Company C, Seventh Regiment of Kansas Cavalry. He served with his regiment until honorably discharged in October 1865, and during that time participated in many of the hard-fought battles and severe campaigns of the Western army, commencing at Corinth and ending with the suppression of the guerrilla forces in Missouri. After his discharge from the service he returned to Kansas, and the next winter located in the South Park country, in Colorado, and in 1876, to Leadville. Mr. Klinefelter spent many years in that country in mining pursuits, as a prospector, superintendent and manager in developing mines.
In 1881, desirous of a more genial climate, he established his home in Riverside. In the same year he married Miss Mabel Chance, a native of Ohio. There are no children living from this marriage.